Pennsylvania's New Comprehensive Background Checks

Hmm. They don't say exactly the same thing, unless the material you have bolded above is interpreted to be followed by the words "if any."

And the whole thing is worded oddly, at least to me. It seems to be directed toward someone from out of Pa. who finds himself or herself in that state for between one and 30 days and wants to volunteer to work with youth during that time, as opposed to someone who is already a volunteer somewhere else and is travelling as part of a troop to somewhere in Pa. But the council web site seems to suggest that it does apply to adults traveling with groups from out of state.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From another thread:     http://www.acacamps.org/sites/default/files/images/keystone/PA_Background_Checks_Act_of_2014.pdf   State of Pennsylvania Comprehensive Background Checks Upda

A big monkey in with the wrenches for sure, but as with other requirements, after the initial grumbling it will settle down.   The bigger question, can the State of PA get all those background chec

On the flip side, most of us need the clearances for other youth programs we're involved with. So it's not like we're not already getting this done. But yeah, it may be more economical for the boys if

One interpretation might be "if you,as a volunteer working with kids, are good in your own state, you are good in PA up to 30 days", but how would PA law enforcement know?

Schiff got pulled over for speeding in PA. In MA, "License and registration, please". In PA, "License, registration, and proof of insurance card". Officer, we don't have an insurance card issued in MA, there's an insurance stamp on the registration. "Well you have a problem. You are not in MA." 
:eek:

Schiff got pulled over for speeding in PA. In MA, "License and registration, please". In PA, "License, registration, and proof of insurance card". Officer, we don't have an insurance card issued in MA, there's an insurance stamp on the registration. "Well you have a problem. You are not in MA." 

:eek:

Did that really happen? If so, what was the outcome? If the "insurance stamp" is considered proof of insurance in MA, they should have to accept it elsewhere. (I've never heard of an insurance stamp on the registration, in NJ we have a separate insurance card too. And boy, do they get bent out of shape if you don't have it with you.)

Did that really happen? If so, what was the outcome? If the "insurance stamp" is considered proof of insurance in MA, they should have to accept it elsewhere. (I've never heard of an insurance stamp on the registration, in NJ we have a separate insurance card too. And boy, do they get bent out of shape if you don't have it with you.)

Yes and they were not happy. Another officer arrived and there were some radio discussions regarding a tow truck. They decided to give me a "break" regarding the insurance card but not on the speeding. Catch and release?

• 5 months later...

So, the new law has been in effect for several months now, so I was thinking it's time too get an update.

Can anyone in Pennsylvania report what impact the new law is having on volunteering in Scouting and elsewhere?

Edited by Rick_in_CA

So, the new law has been in effect for several months now, so I was thinking it's time too get an update.

Can anyone in Pennsylvania report what impact the new law is having on volunteering in Scouting and elsewhere?

There's no way to measure that. In looking at the changed and impact, one line item stood out: "Adults who stay occasionally at a meeting to help out – clearances are NOT required unless their participation becomes a weekly occurrence."

Unless units have been tracking who comes to meetings regularly, there is no way of knowing how many people are now affected. Also, units would have to be tracking how many adults showed up for fund raisers, service projects, and other events to be able to measure the impact on a unit.

Any parent that have any "responsibility for a child other than their own son" is required to register....that's pretty huge. According to my friends in Steeler Country, they have seen a significant drop in parents helping at events. Their biggest logistical headache is making sure they have enough drivers for camp out, as the driver must have that background check. Nearly had to cancel an event due to lack of drivers that qualified.

Edited by Krampus

Really? So the church bus driver with the CDL must register even though he has no other interaction with the troop?

Nope, the charter bus driver that takes the boys up to BWCA for a week doesn't need to be registered either.  The driver isn't part of the unit any more than a cab driver or any other fior-hire livery.

Otherwise, the train engineer that takes the boys out to Philmont will need to be registered.... kinda dumb to assume that.  If the boys fly out to Philmont, do both the pilot and co-pilot need to be registered?  Dumb rules produce dumb results.

Edited by Stosh

Really? So the church bus driver with the CDL must register even though he has no other interaction with the troop?

Nope, the charter bus driver that takes the boys up to BWCA for a week doesn't need to be registered either.  The driver isn't part of the unit any more than a cab driver or any other fior-hire livery.

Otherwise, the train engineer that takes the boys out to Philmont will need to be registered.... kinda dumb to assume that.  If the boys fly out to Philmont, do both the pilot and co-pilot need to be registered?  Dumb rules produce dumb results.

Actually, according to the page link provided by @@Krampus, the answer is yes:

Drivers to camps or events – if a parent asks another parent (parent to parent) to drive their son to an event or camp then clearances are NOT required. If however a carpool is organized or drivers are recruited by the unit’s leaders, then clearances ARE REQURED.

This bit really caught my eye:

MANDATED REPORTER OF CHILD ABUSE

All volunteers, registered and unregistered, over the age of 18 are now mandated reporters of child abuse. The law requires direct reporting from the individual suspecting or witnessing child abuse immediately. After reporting the suspected abuse to the state the individual shall contact the Scout executive. The Commonwealth has created a portal for reporting purposes: www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis or 800-932-0313.

So all volunteers are now mandated reporters? That is news to me!

Personally, about 5 more hours of my time I'll never get back. Laurel Highlands council has a site to upload copies of docs. So turning them in isn't so bad. Making sure the two places where I volunteer with youth have everything they need and figuring it all out kills the time.

As a unit, I've had to explain this to adults more times than I should ever.  And, it's about to gut us! This is more hassle than about half of our adults want to go through. They will just have their registration dropped. I have one college student ASM who needs FBI clearance, and it's taking months. So, he's gonna get dropped until it comes through.

In short, it's a mess.

Once Volunteers turn in their Clearances to their Unit (Committee Chair, Cub Master) or whomever is collecting them.  After they're  received and reviewed  where do the clearances go from there?  Does council re-review them and take them or does Council simply look and say yes you have them and youre good to go?  Basically how does the Clearances play into the Rechartering Process of a Unit? 

Gotta say, I read through the various "explanations" on what to do and what is needed and was more confused than ever....and I understand this stuff. I can only imagine what the average volunteer who never has to deal with such things is feeling/experiencing.

• Upvote 1