I'm not a Girl Scouter and I know that they are run differently than BSA, but this doesn't seem like an appropriate use of their program to me.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/10/radical-brownies-girl-scouts-social-justice-oakland-black-lives-matter-protests/

"OAKLAND (KPIX 5) – After the recent Black Lives Matter protests, there is a new brownie troop in Oakland. Instead of selling cookies, they are spreading a message.

On a Saturday afternoon in Oakland, a handful of 8 to 10 year old girls are gathered, in brown uniforms, giggling and eating cupcakes. They look like Girl Scouts, but it’s not just fun and games.

And it’s not just fun and games. “White policeman are killing black young folks such as women, men and children,†one of the girls said.

Another girl said, “Mike Brown. He was shot because he didn’t do nothing. Only the police officer shot him because of his skin color.â€Â

These girls are called the “Radical Brownies.†And instead of learning sewing, they’re learning social justice.

Even their uniforms have a message.

“The beret, it’s a Black Panther/Brown Beret twist,†one of the Radical Brownies said.

“I think it’s very appropriate. A lot of the work the Black Panthers did was community oriented,†Radical Brownies co-founder Marilyn Hollinquest told KPIX 5........"

Hi, SR540Beaver. This isn't the first time I've seen this group mentioned. As I understand it, they are not affiliated with the GSUSA in any way. Also, as a private organization they are free to make their own membership criteria and create their own program.

Hi' date=' SR540Beaver. This isn't the first time I've seen this group mentioned. As I understand it, they are not affiliated with the GSUSA in any way. Also, as a private organization they are free to make their own membership criteria and create their own program.[/quote']

Interesting if true. I guess it's a good thing they chose the GSUSA Brownies name over Cub Scouts because the BSA would be all over them about brand infringement LOL

Interesting if true.

Don't worry; I'm trustworthy. I wouldn't post if I thought it were false. ;)

Here's the FAQ from the official page:

http://www.i-m.mx/Hollinq/RadicalBrownies/faq.html

I support a dialogue on social justice issues. However, I'm not in favor of exclusionary practices--banning particular race, religion, orientation, etc.

Twocubdad, I see you altered your original message significantly...:D

My issue is this, it's indoctrination. I know there are those who would make the same claim with the BSA, but I would argue the point with them. Over all, we do have things like "reverence" and expectations of duty to country. But we do those in a fairly generic way. When we teach Citizenship merit badges, it is teaching about the role of government and our rights, not a preconceived agenda........and certainly not to grade school children. Scouting really does make a serious attempt to be diverse and inclusive. Can we do better? sure. But would you call these Radical Brownies diverse and inclusive? Are they teaching values and principles that foster character, independence, citizenship, etc.? I believe that the leaders think they a good thing, but I think they are doing more harm pushing an agenda as opposed to teaching principles that will serve youth thru their life.

My issue is this' date=' it's indoctrination. I know there are those who would make the same claim with the BSA, but I would argue the point with them. Over all, we do have things like "reverence" and expectations of duty to country. But we do those in a fairly generic way. When we teach Citizenship merit badges, it is teaching about the role of government and our rights, not a preconceived agenda........and certainly not to grade school children. Scouting really does make a serious attempt to be diverse and inclusive. Can we do better? sure. But would you call these Radical Brownies diverse and inclusive? Are they teaching values and principles that foster character, independence, citizenship, etc.? I believe that the leaders think they a good thing, but I think they are doing more harm pushing an agenda as opposed to teaching principles that will serve youth thru their life.[/quote']

Yo, Beaver! You are correct. It's in their name: "Radical". I do believe that BSA is making an effort to be diverse and inclusive but it's not a rapid process. There's work to be done and changes to be made. The Radical Brownies do not appear to be diverse or inclusive, but that's their prerogative, as Bobbie Brown would say. :cool:

The BSA also has 105 years under its belt as opposed to the Radical Brownies who've only been around for a few months.

Indoctrination? Nonsense!! No one is teaching them anything against their will or against their parent's wishes. These are all girls from families with like-minded ideas as the leaders - They are likely hearing much the same information from their parents at home - would that be "indoctination" as well? When a parent brings their children to an anti-abortion rally is that indoctrination too?

The only innappropriate thing I can see here is calling them Brownies and dressing in a uniform similar (if not exactly the same) as the Brownies og the GS-USA - but that's something for them to deal with.