recruiting from another troop

I have found out that another troop has been inviting one of my youth to their troop functions. They do not invite all of the youth in our troop, just one. I find this shady and disrespectful to my troop. Any ideas? What would you think if this were happening to your troop?

First class requirement 10:

Tell someone who is eligible to join Boy Scouts, or an inactive Boy Scout, about your troop's activities. Invite him to a troop outing, activity, service project, or meeting. Tell him how to join, or encourage the inactive Boy Scout to become active.

Maybe a boy in the other troop thinks the scout in your troop is inactive? Or maybe they are best friends?

• Upvote 1

Hi, kc8vqf. This does happen from time to time but it's usually not done out of malice. In some cases, as horanmm points out, two friends find themselves in different units and decide they want to be together. As Scoutmaster, I never like to lose Scouts before they turn 18. ;)

The essential thing, as at least in my book, is that the young man stays involved in Scouting!

• Upvote 1

This has happened to us, and we've done it to others. We've lost Scouts to a nearby troop for several reasons: friends in the troop, they are more active, and they meet on a better night for the scouts in question. We have also gained Scouts fo similar reasons, we are more active than their current troop, they have friends in the troop, etc.

My troop leadership's stance is that we don't care where they go as long as they are happy. Our concern is when they drop out of Scouting altogether.

• Upvote 1
I have found out that another troop has been inviting one of my youth to their troop functions. They do not invite all of the youth in our troop' date=' just one. I find this shady and disrespectful to my troop. Any ideas? What would you think if this were happening to your troop?[/quote']

Who is doing the inviting? Is it one of the youth's friends, or is it the adult leaders? I don't think there is anything wrong with a scout to ask his friend in another troop to do things with them. If adults are doing the inviting, IMHO, its a YPT yellow flag.

... Any ideas? What would you think if this were happening to your troop?

You just got your "man on the inside!" Have the SPL ask him if there are things that they do that you should be doing. This is a rare opportunity ... take advantage of it.

If we didn't attract boys from other troops we wouldn't have a troop! (Our boys do the recruiting, and only their buddies, and only if they complain of not camping enough, not really being youth led, being too "military style", summer camp week conflicts with vacation ...) More often than not, those SM's are running decent programs, they just don't fit the boy's style.

Please explain how YP is even an issue? A Scout is being asked to participate in Scout functions with a different unit. Ethics maybe' date=' inter- unit relations probably, but there is no YP issue.[/quote']

So if an Adult your son didn't know was calling your house and asking your son to attend Scout functions with a different Troop, you wouldn't see a Youth Protection issue there?

• Upvote 1

So if an Adult your son didn't know was calling your house and asking your son to attend Scout functions with a different Troop, you wouldn't see a Youth Protection issue there?

Well, there's a leap!

A small hop maybe, but not a leap. a yellow flag was was what was called for above, yes it is a stretch for YP violation, but one of the first steps is making the boy feel special, this may be that. It is more the appearance of impropriety than anything else, but it warrants a look.

• Upvote 1
Please explain how YP is even an issue? A Scout is being asked to participate in Scout functions with a different unit. Ethics maybe' date=' inter- unit relations probably, but there is no YP issue.[/quote']

If an adult continually tries to recruit a single scout from another troop, in my eyes, that is a step towards grooming. Not saying it's reportable (that's why I said yellow flag, not red flag), but as a parent, it would inspire me to keep my eyes out.

Thank you for seeing my point. As I said, it's a yellow flag, which means something to keep an eye out for, not a red flag, which is something I would report.

I'm glad to read though, that it was probably a friend in the other troop.