variety in Boy Scout Troop weekly meetings

Ever since I have been with this Troop we have done the same opening each Troop Meeting, they bring the flags forward, post them and then recite the Scout Oath and Law. I am now the new Scout master and it is time for some variety, what do you do to change it up?

Tonight I was thinking of pre-posting the flags and then recommend to the SPL to do something different like the Pledge Of Allegiance, have any of you pre-posted the flags?

We don't pre-post, but our routine is post, pledge, oath and law.

I guess if your boys have good pipes, each one could solo the national anthem on a different week! ;)

But seriously, one thing my SM did was have a "this week in American history" booklet, from which one of the boys would read a passage. That often led into his SM minute.

Other troops have a pre-opening activity ... typically a 15 minute game. Then flags are a way to transition into something else. I think in that scenario, pre-posting may be a good idea. If you have several patrols, each one could take it in turn to set up the flags and perform the opening ceremony.

Pick just one thing to fold in. Do it in a way that suits your style.

Joesport, I would ask if this is an issue for the Scouts. My Troop has done either the Oath or Law for opening for 4000 years. Occasionally they'll throw the Pledge in there. The flags are always pre-posted by the SPL or whomever he chooses to "go get the flags". As Scoutmaster, I had the same thought you are having now, and when I suggested the Scouts which it up they just said, "nah, we're fine with it the way it is".

Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal. The Oath and Law are important and the more the Scouts recite both the better, in my opinion.

LeCastor

Thanks for all the communication, basically the boys have not been allowed to say or make changes they want to do. I plan on making it clear it's whatever they want to do. We have work to do in our Troop that is for sure and it all begins tonight as I and the other leaders begin to open their eyes to how a Boy-led troop works.

Details matter.

If boys are already on a roster to do this stuff, and you have time to touch base to talk about it. Ask the PL assigned for this week, POLITELY, if he would be so kind as to add your one or two changes to the routine. Then after the meeting, ask the PL assigned to do it next week what he thought and let him know he's free to do it either way next week.

If you don't have that roster, and your real agenda is establishing a boy led ethic, you need to slow down and add another step ...

If you already delineated patrols, and the boys seem generally happy with them, start by having a talk with the SPL (in front of the boys) and giving him a roster (best if you draw it on the clipboard while talking) for which patrol will do opening and which will do closing for the next few weeks. Hand it to him and say "Thank you for adding this to tonight's agenda at the last minute. Forgive me for not talking to you about it earlier, I will try to do better next time. As you were ..."

Then return to your seat at the back of the room.

If the boys are unhappy with their patrols or think the patrol method stinks, then you have your work cut out for you. Don't touch the opening ceremony or any tradition until cracking that bigger nut! Start with some form of after action review "What do you like about our meetings? What don't you like? What's the one thing you think we should do differently?" Maybe put the "do differents" on separate cards and fave them vote on the most important one, gradually fold in how patrols might make accomplishing the "do differents" easier.

My reasoning? People who are in the habit of someone putting their thumb down on them aren't trusting some new boss when he tells them "it's whatever they want to do." They need to experience someone treating them with dignity and respect. They need to see their ideas being worked into the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for all the communication' date=' basically the boys have not been allowed to say or make changes they want to do. I plan on making it clear it's whatever they want to do. We have work to do in our Troop that is for sure and it all begins tonight as I and the other leaders begin to open their eyes to how a Boy-led troop works.[/quote']

Sounds like we'll be hearing a lot from you in the upcoming months. Let us help, we've got lots of opinions.:)

I have told my boys that the most important thing they do at a meeting is the opening and closing flag ceremony. Everything else is supposed to be fun. There's nothing wrong with the flag ceremony being fun, but it must be reflective of the importance and sacrifice made to be able to do the ceremony in the first place. Now we may be just a new troop of less than a year old, but everyone of the boys is capable of leading the flag ceremony.

Unfortunately the boy-led thing is still a struggle in that just last week I insisted that every week a game to play must be part of the meeting! :)

Stosh