San Diego Cub Scout hike through nude beach

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, yes, the scene depicted in that statue would present a Youth Protection problem.

Awwww, it couldn't have been much worse than this Scout statue

5673441391_39228b073e.jpg

Yeah, the Boy Scout Memorial in Washington DC. I get beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but to me, that's one ugly statue (especially the male figure on the left - it just looks wrong!).

I'm pretty conservative, but the 1980s pushback against the 60s/70s sex culture took us to a point that is more prudish about non-sexual nudity than we ever were before the 60s.

I always thought it had more to do with fear of child sexual abuse and gays than the free love of the 60s. But maybe it's all related.

I always thought it had more to do with fear of child sexual abuse and gays than the free love of the 60s. But maybe it's all related.

Oh, it was all related! I could almost quote Mamma on that. Her diatribes against promiscuity, abuse, and sodomy all wrapped into one big "I don't care how hot it is in the summer, put your shirt on when working the garden." (Or whatever I was doing ... or watching!)

This wasn't just in the 80s. In the late 60's, my brother was yelled at by a German immigrant neighbor for immodesty when he was doing basically the same thing.

It was the beginning of a larger culture clash, as the second wave of immigrants took a stand on what they saw as loosening "Anglo-Saxon" mores. (I also got a lot of "in the Old Country, they would have ..." speeches.)

Ever wonder why the statue of David is nude? There are lots of nude statues of Roman generals. This statue is screaming Greek and Roman art and comes from the idea of "heroic nudity" in art. To quote (wikipedia because it was easy to find):

"Heroic nudity or ideal nudity is a concept in classical scholarship to describe the use of nudity in classical sculpture to indicate that a sculpture's apparently mortal human subject is in fact a hero or semi-divine being. This convention began in archaic and classical Greece and was later adopted by Hellenistic and Roman sculpture. This concept operated for women as well as for men, with females having themselves portrayed as Venus and other goddesses...."

We still don't know the CM's "hike plan". But for a Cub Scout hike the total distance is limited to what 3 miles? So from their trailhead draw 1.5 and 3.0 mile radius circles as we also don't know if they planned to return to the starting point. What are the points of reference, points of interest, terrain, evac points, water, bathrooms, dangers.. A cursory look - Pacific ocean, cliffs with steep trails, world's largest nude beach, gliderport

If the CM was using this map

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/657/fi...eserve_map.pdf

the nude beach, Black's Beach, to my understanding is south of Flat Rock and off paper. Also south and off map is the gliderport. Hmmm?

The nudity issue is one of permission with parents and CO as surprisingly the BSA was no explicit rules against this. So is that the take-away here, if ALL parents and CO are ok with hiking past a nude beach then ok, this hike is rated PG-13 for occasional nudity?

Personally, I have no problem. Back in the day, my troop's winter swim was bare butt at the indoor Y pool. "Going Commando" was not yet in the lingo but was an apt description.

What does concern me is the navigation mistakes with presumably a map in hand, such prominent and proximate points of reference in a familiar area.

My $0.02

Thanks for this update. For those that did not follow the links. It sounds like they did not go through the nude beach but rather encountered naked people somewhere else on the trail (it is not clear how close to the nude beach they ventured), The naked people were in violation. All of the parents except the one quoted in the original article has this story. Sounds like that parent has issues with the unit or CM.

Just so it's clear, I did not say the statue violated anything. I made sort of a casual, half-joking remark, but of course on the Internet, nobody can see that you're smiling, or even half-smiling. And I know all about nudity in sculpture - including the fact that it was never really "in style" in this country. You can look at the Wikipedia article on the 1840 statue of George Washington for some indication about that. That statue had GW naked from the waist up, and it did not play very well.

I would also ask whether anyone thinks that the Boy Scout Memorial, if it was being made today rather than 50+ years ago, would depict nearly-nude adults with a Boy Scout? Anyone?

Just so it's clear, I did not say the statue violated anything. I made sort of a casual, half-joking remark, but of course on the Internet, nobody can see that you're smiling, or even half-smiling. And I know all about nudity in sculpture - including the fact that it was never really "in style" in this country. You can look at the Wikipedia article on the 1840 statue of George Washington for some indication about that. That statue had GW naked from the waist up, and it did not play very well.

I would also ask whether anyone thinks that the Boy Scout Memorial, if it was being made today rather than 50+ years ago, would depict nearly-nude adults with a Boy Scout? Anyone?

Please take this statue discussion to its own thread.

Funny how the response doesn't match the News report which states' date='[/size']

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/02/05/bare-bottomed-bathers-cub-scout-nature-hike-includes-nude-beach-visit/

It seems like fox is slanting the report. They keep saying parents are upset. But all of the parents except 1 set are on record with different accounts of the story. All of the qoutes from the "parents" are from the same person. It doesn't even sound like they were at Black Beach but rather another beach in the park when they came across the nude people.

If there was any truth to the CM arranging a hike through nude beach the BSA would have gotten ride of him.

post 31 has the links including the version from all of the other parents.

It seems like fox is slanting the report. They keep saying parents are upset. But all of the parents except 1 set are on record with different accounts of the story. All of the qoutes from the "parents" are from the same person. It doesn't even sound like they were at Black Beach but rather another beach in the park when they came across the nude people. If there was any truth to the CM arranging a hike through nude beach the BSA would have gotten ride of him. post 31 has the links including the version from all of the other parents.
Fox slanting the report? Shurely shome mishtake?