San Diego Cub Scout hike through nude beach

“During a planned hiking trip at Torrey Pines State Beach, a local Cub Scout Pack encountered some individuals who were inappropriately dressed. This outing, involving both parents and adult volunteer leaders, was quickly rerouted to protect the youth. Following the trip, both San Diego-Imperial Council and Pack leadership met with parents to discuss the events and determine if further action was needed. Together we concluded that proper protocol had been observed and appropriate steps were taken in this matter.†Karl Shelton, San Diego Imperial Council spokesman

So did the Cubmaster have an approved Tour Permit? :o Isn't this "covered" in YP training?

http://www.cbs8.com/story/28006852/p...o-blacks-beach

And I wonder why National doesn't trust the judgment of unit leaders...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, yes, the scene depicted in that statue would present a Youth Protection problem.

Well, depending on the age of the sun-bathers, the cubs in my old pack would have either cracked jokes or else gone, "eew, eew!"

Thanks for the morning laugh. Yes, by all means, we must protect our children from biological realities.

Seriously, I think the leaders were just fine in what they did. Evidently the Council thought so too.

I lived for one year in San Diego (1975-1976). That was 40 years ago. I knew Blacks Beach was a nudist beach at that time. The beach is not very readily accessible and if this doesn't sound like an accident to me. IF... this pack was not from the area, I could see it being an accidental hike to the area, but this area of the beach was common knowledge that if this is your thing, this is the place to go. There had to be at least a few of the parents/adults in the group who had heard about this area of the beach. If this be the case, then National is fully within it's responsibility to not trust the judgment of unit leaders.

Stosh

The pack was from the area. The "pack master" said he and his family went there regularly. Sounds like a lot of folks thought it would be no problem. They were were making the plans and didn't think that they should make that clear to the parents and boys.

It's the CO's problem. Not the council's.

We've all dealt with clueless parents. I remember once:

"I'll help the boys make model rockets."

DL:"Fine here's your budget."

I get decent models under budget. Discuss assembly, A or B engines. Go over safety. 3, 2, 1, Launch.

DL: "They're going so high, so fast!"

"Um, didn't hear the part about launching rockets? And needing this big field?"

Quoting the leader,"He said 'This is a naturalist beach, and my family and I go through here all the time it's not a big deal.'" I agree with Huey...they guy is a moron and should have his membership revoked. He knew what he was doing when he planned it.

I guess getting wings at Hooters on the way home would be a let down, huh?

Reminds me of sitting in the very large pub inside the staff area at World Jamboree outside London, sipping on a pint of Guinness with my new-found mates from the UK. One of the other Americans looked around and said, astonishedly, "Wow, you've got girls AND beer? I'd have 700 guys in my troop!"

And I thought I had problems with all dads who want to go on shooting and whitewater trips with the troop.

Thanks for the laugh.

A few years ago I was backpacking with my troop when we came upon some ladies backpacking that, uh, were trying for a different set of tan lines. It was steep terrain and no place to go so they discretely turned. They were more embarrassed than the scouts who didn't notice a thing because as usual they were staring at their feet. Not much to miss anyway.

I think it was poor judgment not to tell the parents in advance. It was not a violation of the "letter" of YP guidelines, though I suppose there could be a debate about the "spirit" of the guidelines. (There is that part about how the "privacy" of both adult leaders and Scouts must be protected when showering, changing clothes, etc., but it does not say anything about exposing (sorry about that) Scouts to uninvolved people who are legally clothes-free in a public place.)

That being the case, I agree with qwasze, this is a matter for the unit and the CO rather than the "higher levels" of the BSA.

Where do we draw the line in the sand? Cub Scout outing at a nudist beach!! What next, boy scouts giving breast exams? And who will judge in California?

If the soul is darkened By a fear it cannot name,

If the mind is baffled When the rules don't fit the game,

Who will answer? Who will answer?

Who will answer?

Alleluyah! Alleluyah! Alleluyah!

Jimmy Fallon or Jon Stewart?

Years ago we rode bikes up the coast to Summerland just the other side of Carpenteria. About a 20 something mile ride. One of my senior scouts, who at the time was about 18 and either just starting college at USC or finishing high school, was the leader, since he had done the ride a few times. I was only vaguely familiar with the area, though I did know somewhere nearby was a secretive small beach with "options". Anyway, we stopped along the bluff, and the young man pointed out the trail down to the beach and suggested we go down. Another adult stayed with most of the boys and a few of us climbed down. We only walked about fifty yards around a point when I realized where we were. As I made us hastily retreat, the young man is hysterical. Worse, I hear voices on the bluff; a couple of the younger boys had found a top side view and were hollering something to the effect of "turn over" as the other adult up there is trying to get them away. Looking back of course it is pretty funny. But I learned another lesson. "Make sure you know where you are going in detail, and do not trust a teenager's judgment."

On the other hand, the only people there were probably well over fifty, or very weathered younger ones. Fortunately, I did not have any overly upset parents on return. Of course, that was in the early 80's before hyper sensitivity was the vogue.

Poor judgement of the leader, and CO should remove.

But sometimes, as others have stated, things happened. On one scouting camp out, one of my friends came upon one couple that happened to be in the same area we were in. On a non-scouting event, I was walking down a trail and came upon 4 bottoms over a log.

Poor judgement of the leader' date=' and CO should remove.[/quote']

What if the CO doesn't have a problem with naturists and the general concept of public nudity?

I can see if the guy took the kids skinny dipping or, on the second half of the trip, stopped at a range for some hand-gun shooting. Those are spelled out in the G2SS.