Venturing Crew Committee Challenge

Hi all! Checking in to see if someone has access to a Venturing Crew Committee Challenge PowerPoint they would be willing to share? I have been asked to do the training. No point in reinventing the wheel as they say. Thanks! Dave

The "paper-point" crew committee challenge is on scouting.org in the form of a .pdf, but I haven't seen a related power-point.

Generally, crew committees are a little bit different in the sense that the plethora of adult positions is discouraged. For example, getting the crew treasurer (a youth, a.k.a. VP of Finance) to be a meaningful position requires an adult treasurer who can mentor as well as keep books (as a backup to the youth).

Not sure if anyone has put those subtle distinctions into a power point.

No, nothing online and apparently BSA has no plans to do so or offer the training via the Councils. However, they do require that committee members have the training and supplied a PDF syllabus. We asked why they weren't planning on doing an online training like the troop committee training, but they simply say that there are no plans to make an online version on my scouting.org. We're on our own if we want to satisfy JTE requirements.

Venturing training, for adult volunteers, is offered so infrequently in my council that I would much prefer having the opportunity to take the committee challenge online. In fact, I find myself in the situation of having started a new Crew in January and now I'm a committee member without training. I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to do it again...

We get the same thing here in the San Diego - Imperial Council.

So, at this point I have taken care of my own problem and have a PowerPoint with presentation notes ready to go. It follows the syllabus. If anyone wants to download it, feel free. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49v0zv6856z1pm2/Crew%20Committee%20Challenge%20Training.pptx?dl=0

Feel free to modify it to suit your needs. If anyone spots any errors or omissions, please let me know and I will take a look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
From what I understand the BSA is moving away from PowerPoint presented training' date=' and to more of an instructor focused training.[/quote']

I just saw this, apparently I stopped reading this forum after I posted my question.

It's kind of amusing to see the BSA moving away from computer-based training. You would think that's a new idea, training people in person...

Thanks, dhendron, for the PP. I looked through it this morning. Back in December I took the Advisor training but missed the chance to the Venturing Committee Challenge. I'm hoping the local CR Area 7 Venturing Conference will offer in-person training in March. :cool:

I am very excited about our new Venturing Crew! And also excited that I will, in fact, be able to take the crew committee challenge training in March at our area Venturing conference. The youth are really into it so far and it's only been a month. It's a great way to keep Scouting fresh for the older guys and now their sisters can finally join them! (Oh, and I can now share this experience with my wife who wasn't totally into Boy Scouts.)