delayed/deferred/denied rank advancement after BOR. Why?

Demonstrate Scout Spirit and Living the Scout Oath and Law has been a source of contention since the day it was given power to judge a boys behavior. It's nothing new. The struggle is that there isn't a defined set of actions for Demonstrating Scout Sprite, and the result are different adult interpretations of Scout Oath and Law. You would not believe how many times National deals with this conflict on Eagle applications. And 9 times out of 10, the scout wins. Or maybe it is better understood that the troop leadership looses.

Did I miss something? A Scoutnis Trustworthy. If he lying repeatedly he has not met the litmus test. SM has a conference with the young man and set up ways he can demonstrate over time that he is concretely earning trust back. Until then he's not lived the Law. Done! How is this complicated or unclear?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are actually volunteers (Dad is an Eagle...) ASM IOLS trained, they have different standards for their sons than others......   I and the CC are meeting today and going to formulate a plan. Thing

Demonstrate Scout Spirit and Living the Scout Oath and Law has been a source of contention since the day it was given power to judge a boys behavior. It's nothing new. The struggle is that there isn't

Mashmaster, this type of thing just plain sucks. You try and do the right thing and then someone dumps on you. You sound like you're not happy with it and that's a sign that you're doing the right thi

On of my ASMs signed off on this months ago....  sigh

We had a similar issue. Years ago changed that signature to SM only so that the review and decision stayed consistent and with one person. It has helped and we don't have the problem anymore.

Well, met with the parents...Good news is that the scout is staying in the troop so maybe I can positively affect him.  Parents excused every action he did because of ADHD or family issues....  I told them up front, I was not going to apologize and that we are here to help their son and prepare him for life.  Mom shot me a glare and was about to say something until dad spoke up and said he believes me.   We will see what happens, but I think he will continue to get excuses made for him.  They want me to only provide positive feedback,  I flat out told them I could not do that.    

I guess it is a positive outcome.

We had a similar issue. Years ago changed that signature to SM only so that the review and decision stayed consistent and with one person. It has helped and we don't have the problem anymore.

I am going to do that.  SM signs off on Star and above rank requirements.

• Upvote 1

Well, met with the parents...Good news is that the scout is staying in the troop so maybe I can positively affect him.  Parents excused every action he did because of ADHD or family issues....  I told them up front, I was not going to apologize and that we are here to help their son and prepare him for life.  Mom shot me a glare and was about to say something until dad spoke up and said he believes me.   We will see what happens, but I think he will continue to get excuses made for him.  They want me to only provide positive feedback,  I flat out told them I could not do that.    

I guess it is a positive outcome.

My son was high ADHD. I found *I* was the one apologizing for his behavior. Sounds like the parents are in denial.

Stay strong! You're doing the right thing it appears. Being even-handed and teaching a lesson insbt always easy.

My son was high ADHD. I found *I* was the one apologizing for his behavior. Sounds like the parents are in denial.

Stay strong! You're doing the right thing it appears. Being even-handed and teaching a lesson insbt always easy.

thanks

• 5 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 7:04 AM, Eagledad said:

Generally units search first for a SM to build a strong program. But I encourage units to first find a "strong" CC, because they will find the "strong" SM and the two together will build an outstanding program.

So much wisdom in this statement.

During my time as SM, I have worked with two outstanding CCs who understand their responsibilities and take the job seriously. They are invaluable to me and the success of our troop. They lighten my administrative load and back me up when needed. In addition, I will rely on a good CC as a sounding board and honest observer to tell me if I need to shift my approach as SM. My CC is not a rubber stamp for everything I might want to do. With enough mutual trust and respect, the relationship functions a bit like a marriage where they aren’t afraid to tell me both the good and the bad. So important.