delayed/deferred/denied rank advancement after BOR. Why?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are actually volunteers (Dad is an Eagle...) ASM IOLS trained, they have different standards for their sons than others......   I and the CC are meeting today and going to formulate a plan. Thing

Demonstrate Scout Spirit and Living the Scout Oath and Law has been a source of contention since the day it was given power to judge a boys behavior. It's nothing new. The struggle is that there isn't

Mashmaster, this type of thing just plain sucks. You try and do the right thing and then someone dumps on you. You sound like you're not happy with it and that's a sign that you're doing the right thi

Just the committee chair! You realize that as Committee Chair you have the power to get the troop moving in the correct direction.

Yeap, I know my role very very well. First: I have only been in scouting for 5 years but I have come in on fire. Since then I have done ALL my training because I believe every scout Deserves a Trained Leader. We are preparing for Camporee, I am over Camp Site inspection, While discussing this with my SM I mentioned how important it is to setup a campsite properly, he said "We'll we don't do that" I just laughed and went about my business.

Scouting for me is 24 hours. I am always thinking of ways to grow the program, I am though the only one with the Vision!

I don't rock the boat YET! My SM knows I am upset about something, I am waiting for him to address the issue AS he should being the SM. In case I havent Mentioned it before, last year before I took WoodBadge our troop was Adult Lead!

Qwazse ... Very well said. I've marked out any specific name because "I think" this is a pattern we see repeatedly in scouting. Scouts being used as leverage because people disagree on how the program works.

I absolutely agree! Or, they don't know that there have been changes.

In our specific situation, the two committee members might not have realized that the wording has changed in the requirements for Star and Life that as "scout needs to serve in a position of leadership" to "a scout must serve in a position of responsibility"

A quick update on our situation, due to weather issues we have had to cancel our troop meetings on 2/2 and 2/9. There will be no meeting on 2/23 because it is during school vacation week. DAC will be out of town for "a few months", we reached out to council, they want district to handle it. We told them that it was unacceptable to wait months for this to be resolved. Our DE was supposed to be at our last meeting to sit in on the BOR, but that meeting was cancelled. We got an email from the DAC letting us know that we have an Eagle package back from national to pick up, so SM is eamiling his again right now to see what is being done. He is also going to insist that someone come to a committee meeting to explain what BOR are for and how they are to be conducted. My problem isn't so much the retesting, but these committee members holding the boy back because they "don't feel he is ready" for the next rank.

I have heard from a parent that his son and another scout were held back from Life for a year because the committee chair didnt think they were "ready" and another scout dropped out of scouting all together because the committee chair found reasons to not approve several of his Eagle service projects. These events happened before I was involved in the troop so I don't know specifics. I will admit that our Eagle Scouts are pretty amazing (tops of their graduating classes, current leaders in the community and local businesses, etc.) but that is not required to advance to the rank. Our committee chair is trying to hold scouts to that standard.

I'm right there with ya! what if the SM and ASM are incompetent?

Then they need to be trained better, or replaced with somebody who will do the job properly. As the Committee Chair, you are ideally placed to make this happen for your Scouts. Give your Scouts the program done right. A troop where your older boys train the younger Scouts and lead them. Where younger Scouts have positive peer role models to look up to. Where the Scoutmaster coaches the Scouts to lead the troop, and helps them develop a Troop program that helps them retain their skills. But doesn't do it for them. That way Scoutmaster's conferences help the Scoutmaster get to know his Scouts, and the Board of Review helps the Committee figure out the health of their troop. Everything in the Scouting program is there for a reason, we should use the parts of the program for their proper purpose.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse. I recommend getting them trained first... removing people from their positions is the last option.

Sentinel947

... Then they need to be trained better' date=' or replaced with somebody who will do the job properly. ...[/quote']

Most places that is a very long term solution. You might have to put up with 2nd best for years before the better persons for the job are free to take it. Figuring out how to educate the stubborn is a skill. (Only now, am I beginning to understand what gramps was telling me in all those lectures about how to care for donkeys. ;) )

• 2 years later...

Frustrated about a scout that doesn't follow the scout law (lying and disrespectful to adults), want to be signed off for Star rank.  Tell him he needs to improve and tell him what he needs to do for the sign off.  Parents come rolling in bitching and moaning how I am picking on their son.  Parents are the hardest part of the role for sure.

• Upvote 1

Mashmaster, I've been there and I don't miss it. I noticed that the pain a scout has to go through has nothing to do with the crime or the punishment. It has everything to do with whether or not the parent agrees with you. If a parent backs you up then the scout will accept whatever you have to say.

Usually more parents agree with the SM than don't.

Good luck and take care. You're doing the right thing.

Interesting thing is that the scout accepted it just fine.   It is the parents that are having the problem.  I spoke with the scout afterwards with an ASM along for the conversation and he didn't seem to have an issue with waiting for him to show me what I think he can do.  Maybe, I am the only one that believes he can change his behavior?

Yep. Every now and then we're the first to know that a kid's going "off the rails." And we're the first to believe he (or she) can get back on track.

I'll know this, if you have a good committee, they'll stick by you and keep the irate parent at bay. In fact, it boils down to a choice between an irate parent or an irate committee. I'll take the parent (with a little help from the CC).

Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Law is requirement for advancement. Rank is not a participation trophy, it requires work and meeting standards.

I have had parents challenge me on that, but once I sit down and talk with them and their son, they back me. The Scout almost always improves. Only one parent has failed to get on board, unfortunately I rarely see that Scout anymore.

Another option, since the parents are "rolling in," I assume they are not volunteers. Hand them an application, tell them what leaders are required to do (particularly the parts about living by the Scout Oath and Law and to help ALL of the Scouts, not just their son), get them trained and hand them a job or two. People tend to complain less about things they don't understand when they have learn what they don't understand AND have skin in the game. Not to mention, it is amazing how little time they will have to complain when they are giving an "hour a week."

Edited by HelpfulTracks

Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Law is requirement for advancement. Rank is not a participation trophy, it requires work and meeting standards.

I have had parents challenge me on that, but once I sit down and talk with them and their son, they back me. The Scout almost always improves. Only one parent has failed to get on board, unfortunately I rarely see that Scout anymore.

Another option, since the parents are "rolling in," I assume they are not volunteers. Hand them an application, tell them what leaders are required to do (particularly the parts about living by the Scout Oath and Law and to help ALL of the Scouts, not just their son), get them trained and hand them a job or two. People tend to complain less about things they don't understand when they have learn what they don't understand AND have skin in the game. Not to mention, it is amazing how little time they will have to complain when they are giving an "hour a week."

They are actually volunteers (Dad is an Eagle...) ASM IOLS trained, they have different standards for their sons than others......   I and the CC are meeting today and going to formulate a plan. Things like this kill my scout spirit to help people but I will continue forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1