I know this has been beat around before, but I wanted to just start a new thread for fresh takes.....

Faced with our B&G coming up soon, and the departure of our current 2nd year WEBELOS leader, I would like to give him a little gift from the pack as a memento.

The pack doesn't have money this year, so I'm contemplating just buying a little something with my own money.....

Last year the CM gave leaders at the end of the year little swiss army knives.....

I'm drawn to the knife idea, as the only practical thing I can come up with..... maybe even an engraved Opinel which are inexpensive & I think quite nice....

BUT

knives seem to predictable and over done.

I'm not really into chotsky nic-nac stuff

and I'm not really into corny stuff.

I'd like to give what I would like to get.... something useful, something durable that I might keep a long time, and something that won't end up forgotten, just another knife in the drawer.... hence engraved maybe..... I could even see something like a framed miniature pack flag, but I'll never be able to pull that off in time at this point.....

or should I just give him a hearty handshake, look him in the eye, and say "Thank you"?

Some things I've received, given out, and seen given as gifts:

Specific editions of the BSHB . My original BSHB got ripped in two and went for a swim. One of my Eagles, pre-internet, tracked down a copy and gave it to me. BEST. PRESENT.EVER!

Scrapbook of photos. Cheap, Walmart photo album with photos through the years. Wasn't even filled up completely.

Norman Rockwell print.

1910 ed. of the BSHB

Challenge Coin.

Dutch oven. The SM was really big into Dutch oven cooking and, the scout got a hold of one for his collection

Gift card to Applebees. Some don't like to give those, but I like them.

Over the years, I received little trinkets, but to be honest, I don't know where they are now. The best gifts are those scouts who still keep in touch with me over the years. It warms my heart to know they are doing well and grew up to be contributing members of society with families of their own now. One will be graduating from the Naval Academy this year and two brothers served together in Afghanistan. One is a marine engineer who just got his 2nd Asst Engineer's license from the Coast Guard. I still run into parents out in town who stop me and thank me for the many hours we put in to help raise their sons. You're very welcome.

You can get copies of old Scouting books on eBay pretty cheap (mind the condition and reputation of the seller). Those interested in Scouting usually find the old books interesting and useful.

If the appreciating is presented by the Cubs, it will tap into the consideration that scouterldr raises

A week or so ago I sent in applications for two Den Leaders and the Cubmaster to be awarded the "knots" for their uniforms. I suggested to the DE that he could award the knots to these excellent unit leaders at the Pack February Blue and Gold Dinner when he comes begging for FOS contributions ---that ought to offer him an incentive.

Also, my district has various recognition awards, including an "Extra Mile" award. Each unit is invited to select one leader to be recognized with that award at the district recognition dinner. This year I'm going to nominate our Cubmaster who has not only done a fine job for two years but also was the Popcorn Colonel this year!

Take a look at the various ways Scouting already has to recognize leaders who are making Scouting work!

Awards are earned, gifts are expressions of appreciation. I would make every possible effort to do as Seattle says, but the gift of appreciation needs to be a bit more from the heart. People don't earn gifts.

Stosh

Stosh and I seem to be thinking a lot alike these days. A good coffee mug is always appreciated. I have a nice collection of ceramic ones, some dating from my days as a scout, but I tend to be rough on gear while camping so I would urge you to consider a good camping/backpacking mug, sealable and with a carabiner handle.

As Woodbadge Quartermaster (Asst.) I received an engraved garden trowel. Cub Pack gave me a fleece pullover, embroidered with an Eagle, Pack # and my name. Real nice. I like the Opinel knife mentioned. I have two, and they are very good blades.

Stosh and I seem to be thinking a lot alike these days. A good coffee mug is always appreciated. I have a nice collection of ceramic ones' date=' some dating from my days as a scout, but I tend to be rough on gear while camping so I would urge you to consider a good camping/backpacking mug, sealable and with a carabiner handle.[/quote']

Our museum has boxes and boxes of mugs. We can't give them away. "Free mug with purchase of . . ." "No thanks. Keep the mug."

Group picture signed by everyone?.

To be honest? A simple matted picture of the den, with the boys signatures on the matting would make a day and last forever. If your having trouble getting all of the boys in one picture, a flip-book would work.

• Upvote 2

I received a Starbucks gift card. Since I rarely go out for coffee, it was a nice gift. I also received a camping duffle bag that I now use in Boy Scouts. My son recently swiped it from me and uses it when he isn't using his backpack. Several years ago, I gathered up the boys and had them present their Webelos Leader with a knot award. I had them stand up and tell a favorite story or why they thought Mr. T was a great Den leader. He was so surprised. I could tell it made his day.

• Upvote 1