Need help with Go See It planning

I'm trying to figure out a Go See It for 'How I Tell It' and I'm sort of stuck. Our pack is from several collective rural areas/small towns. So we do not have a local newspaper. When talking to the parents, they thought the boys would have more fun going to a TV station, but no one was willing to take on the responsibility of contacting any of the nearby big city TV stations. So, any suggestions on how to go about doing this? An email or phone call? Do TV stations do this sort of thing? Allowing groups of kids into their studios for tours?

Yes, TV and radio stations are typically happy to host Cub Scout groups. I'd just call them and explain to the receptionist what you're up to. Have any Native American or Cowboy Poet storytellers in the area? Although you wouldn't "go" anywhere, you could also set up an on-line opportunity (FaceTime, Skype, etc) for the Cubs to talk with a newspaper reporter or blogger in another area of the state or nation.

Yes, TV stations do that sort of thing. You and your parents need to get over your fear of asking. I found that most businesses are eager to help. And it's not like you'd be the first person ever to contact the TV station to ask for a tour. Our TV station does tours all the time. My Cubs even got to be on the evening news. Calling would be best.

As the others have said - just call. You will not get into trouble, arrested, or anything scary at all. Simply tell them what you want, and you will be transferred to the correct person to help.

Just like with any other outing.

I suggest contacting small, local, stations.

You can also contact local high schools, and colleges. Many will have their own newspaper/newsletter, radio/tv station. The plus with this is that the boys might end up attending the school, and this might spark an interest that will lead to their own involvement.

• Downvote 1

We have had better luck with scheduling at small local radio stations than the tv stations. Our only tv station will only do tours during "normal business hours". Also known as when kids are in school and parents are at work. Radio stations have always been willing to do a Saturday tour and interview the boys on air.

Another source is the County Media Office/ Public Relations Office, whatever they call it in your county. They will have (probably) a cable TV channel and will love to give the Cubs a tour, and (!) maybe even a shot at a TV show, getting interviewed! Google it, phone book it....

As the others have said - just call. You will not get into trouble, arrested, or anything scary at all. Simply tell them what you want, and you will be transferred to the correct person to help.

Just like with any other outing.

I suggest contacting small, local, stations.

You can also contact local high schools, and colleges. Many will have their own newspaper/newsletter, radio/tv station. The plus with this is that the boys might end up attending the school, and this might spark an interest that will lead to their own involvement.

The other advantage to the college/university/high school tours is that many of the kids running them were/are Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. They may have earned Eagle just a few years ago, and can relate to being a Tiger.

We have a public access TV station/studio nearby, and its a good tour. I find nowadays that newspaper offices get to be pretty boring, everything is on a computer desktop and there are no design/layouts or printing operations for the boys to see. I substitute libraries sometimes, if the boys get a chance to see what happens when they return a book into the slot (a partially mechanized sorter on a conveyor belt!).

We were having problems getting such a tour lined up at a time that works for working parents. Instead I punted a bit and I'm hosting one of the local Ham Radio groups at our Den meeting in a few weeks (a few gentlemen who are also active scouters and eager to help out!). We're going to get the boys on the air with a few other volunteers waiting on their radios across town, teach them to send their own name using Morse code (CW) and learn how amateur radio operators help out in disaster scenarios.

the Ham radio idea is a good one! I might line something up like that for my pack. I was introduced to ham radio as a scout at a district camporee. It has taken me a while, but I am now finally studying to get my ham license becuase of how cool i thought it was back in my scouting days.

The camporee happened to be when a hurricane was hitting the southeast part of the country, and we made contact with someone in one of the carolinas and got to ask about the conditions. Fortunatley the fella we talked to was 100 miles off the coast and wasn't too impacted by the storm.