Rebuilt Troop's 1st CoH

We successfully had our 1st CoH tonight!

A few things I need to work on in the future:

- maybe provide a back story to one or more Scout's rank / merit badge journey

- during my Scoutmaster Moment, the Scouts and I sit in a circle on the floor. It was brought to my attention that the parents felt excluded. They were surprised when I told them they were excluded. Maybe excuse the parents/guests while during the SM Moment.

Nice work. One thing I work in is a description of each badge and generally what a Scout has to do to earn it and why. I don't do this at every COH because everyone would eventually get tired of hearing about it. But lots of Adults don't know the "Trail to Eagle" and how the Ranks build on each other. Same on MB's - what's an "Eagle required" MB?? etc

Instead of excusing the parents during the SM Moment, incorporate them - the SM Moment is the Scoutmaster's opportunity to pass on wisdom to everyone in the room. At regular meetings, the ASM's and other adults hanging around, while not sitting as part of the circle on the floor, should be outside the circle respectfully listening in too.

The same with the Courts-of-Honor. The parents don't join the circle but the message can, and should, be something that is inspiring to all in the room. At my unit's court of honor, instead of the circle, we would form a standing semi-circle (and it could be a couple layers deep) up at the front with the SM in the center of the arc and the SPL standing next to the SM with the "opening" facing the sitting parents and guests. This was they were included in the SM Moment and in the circle of Scouting without being a formal part of the circle.

One closing I have seen with good effect: The SM asks all the Scouts to join in a circle, holding hands, left over right, (heart over head, it was told), and the SM declares that these Scout brothers are family . Talk about what family means, help each other, support each other, etc. , but this is not all the family. SM then asks anyone else present who was ONCE a Scout to join in the circle. But that's not all, he then asks all the rest of the families, moms, dads, bothers, sisters G-moms and G-dads, to join in. Speak of the importance of family, and the circle unfolds to go home....

Who's being honored at a COH? When I attend a theater production, I don't expect to participate in a big group hug with the actors afterwards. I view a COH as honoring the boys, not their family, not the scout leaders, just the boys. As a matter of fact, as SM I've never participated in a COH unless specifically asked by the boys which has happened only twice, when the Eagle candidate asked me to come forward to receive their mentor pin.

Stosh

For me, the Court of Honor is to honor the Scouts. I do use it to explain to some parents a little bit of Scouting as these parents only see "Scouting" at the CoH.

I recently had our new DE ask when our CoH was. When I told him the date, he immediately asked if he could present Friends of Scouting. Nope, Court of Honor is about the Scouts. I will arrange a parent meeting at a later time for FoS.

• 3 months later...

We had our 2nd CoH last night.  1st CoH for the new Scouts.  Big difference - 1st we had 4 Scouts present, 2nd we had 8.  The only talking I did for this one was the SM Moment at the end.

Progress (however slight) is being made.

We had our 2nd CoH last night.  1st CoH for the new Scouts.  Big difference - 1st we had 4 Scouts present, 2nd we had 8.  The only talking I did for this one was the SM Moment at the end.

Progress (however slight) is being made.

Awesome! 

I take it the FOS presentation was done on another occassion? We too don't allow FOS during COH's. Wrong place for it.