Any Michiganders out there? Our troop is looking for a short (3 day paddle) canoe trip within a days drive of the Chicago area (One day drive each way and 3 days of paddling). Any recommendations on rivers or outfitters? We basically would like to rent canoes and let our scouts plan the rest. We have done BWCA so are experienced. Heard good things about the Au Sable. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dale

I have not done the Au Sable, since I was in college. A beautiful river, but not like the BWCA. Any Michigan river in the Summer, is like playing bumper boats on a weekend. Plus you have the general public, drinking, etc. If you can go mid-week, you will enjoy it more.

The fastest river in the lower part of Michigan, is the Pine (class 1 & 2). I have a cabin in the area, and I usually take the new scouts over for a day, on a Friday in June. They mostly kayak, and canoe in the front seat, while the adults are in the back of the canoes. Years ago, I did a two night trip on the Pine, with a group of youth. I only know of one campsite in the lower part of the river. Again, ok during the week, but not on the weekend.

You can extend the trip, by portaging around Tippy Dam, to the Manistee River. The Manistee is a nice river, but is slower than the Pine. Also, the Pine is spring fed, and cold. It feels good, when it is about 90 degrees!

I have not done the Au Sable, since I was in college. A beautiful river, but not like the BWCA. Any Michigan river in the Summer, is like playing bumper boats on a weekend. Plus you have the general public, drinking, etc. If you can go mid-week, you will enjoy it more.

The fastest river in the lower part of Michigan, is the Pine (class 1 & 2). I have a cabin in the area, and I usually take the new scouts over for a day, on a Friday in June. They mostly kayak, and canoe in the front seat, while the adults are in the back of the canoes. Years ago, I did a two night trip on the Pine, with a group of youth. I only know of one campsite in the lower part of the river. Again, ok during the week, but not on the weekend.

You can extend the trip, by portaging around Tippy Dam, to the Manistee River. The Manistee is a nice river, but is slower than the Pine. Also, the Pine is spring fed, and cold. It feels good, when it is about 90 degrees!

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the information.  We have decided on the Manistee River in north western Michigan, around Cadillac.  A five day trip total.

Will be paddling in three weeks!

Dale

Flambeau In Central Wisconsin is nice, lots of rapids, pretty exciting long enough for more than 3 days worth of paddle..

Bois du Brule is a 3 day trek in Northwester Wisconsin, again, lots of whitewater and nice DNR Campgrounds.  Audubon does the three day weekend on Memorial Day weekend every year, stay away from that time.  Otherwise, there are other rivers in the area that are really nice as well.  The Bois du Brule can handle canoeists and kayakers of all skill level.  However, I would portage the Ledges on the second day for the younger boys.  A blast for the more experienced boys.

The Fox/Wisconsin Rivers connect the Lake Michigan to the Mississippi basin.

The Boid du Brule/St. Croix Rivers connect Lake Superior to the Mississippi basin. 

A story for your scouts:

My 1st wilderness trip, as a leader was on the Manistee River in 1968!  I was the 22 year old Program Director for a YMCA camp,  We had an Honor Camper Program at camp, and I invited the participates to join me and another counselor, for a canoe trip after the Summer camp season was over.  The YMCA pick up the cost, which was not much.  Six 11 and 12 years old campers return, so we had a total of eight people, and four canoes.

We paddled from Tippy Dam to Lake Michigan, about a nine hour trip.  We took 5 days to do it - a lot of swimming and fishing, and not too much paddling.  As you can image, with honor campers, the kids were a lot of fun.  Near the end of the trip, we paddled right through  Manistee City, and come out at Lake Michigan.  There is a Coast Guide Station there, and they told us: "Is the Red Flag is up, do not go out into Lake Michigan - small craft warnings!"

As it turn out, there was a small craft warnings, but the Coast Guide forgot to put up the red flag.  We kneel down in the canoes, paddled around a big pier, and let the waves takes us back into the beach.  The kids had a blast, but I was scared!  Back in those days, you could just camp on the beach, which we did; and got picked up by the YMCA the next day.

Stosh -

I did a 6 day trip on the Flambeau back in the late 70's when they still had the Region 7 Canoe Base in Boulder Junction, WI.  It was a great trip, nice rapids. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back today from a "mini" 5 day High ADventure trip on the Manistee River in Northern Michigan.  Went thru the Pine River Paddlesports Center in Wellston, MI.  A very beautiful river, canoed 52 miles in three days.  This old body is a little stiff and sore today!

Nice current on the river,  a very meandering river with lots of turns and very few straightaways.  Very nice Federal campsites along the way.  Had gorgeous weather all three days on the river! 

• Upvote 1

http://thebestcanoecompanyever.com/images/Lower_Wisconsin_DNR_Pub.pdf

For anyone interested in the 90-mile stretch of the Wisconsin River, from Sauk City down to Wyalusing State park.

Until you posted this, I never even thought of this river.  My wife kayaks all over the state of Wisconsin with 2-3 different groups.  None of them ever mention a trip down the Wisconsin River.  I don't think she's even been on it.  My kayak is a used kayak from a rental outfit along that stretch of river and I know once I bought it it has never done a Wisconsin River trip since.

It's probably a good river for newbies.  Not as scenic as some of those in Northern Wisconsin, but should be a good float for those starting out.  I do know it has lots of sandbars for camping along the way.  During times of higher water, camping is limited.

eagle90:  You are the man, if you did 52 miles in 3 days on the Manistee River.  There is not that much current! 

The water was up, due to the rain, the week before you were there.  I had to take some 1st yr. Boy Scouts off the Pere Marquette River, because of the high water level.  Usually, the water level is low in June.  They were kayaking, and two flip in the first 300 yards.  We had to rescues one with a throw rope.  He was heading into a tree branch, where someone dock had been wash down stream.  It was dangerous. The next day, they did 13 miles on the Pine River, with very few problems.  The rain did not seem to affect the Pine.  it was fast, but normal.

I was back up north this last weekend, when you were there.  The water levels were almost down to normal.  I has another scout group with me, and they had no problems on the Pere Marquette.  So you never know?  I am glad you had a good time.