Dying Scoutmaster--need help for ideas for dealing with the boys and memorialize him.

Our former Scoutmaster, 51, is dying as I write this. Without details it was very sudden and unexpected. He was still a very active and popular ASM--the go to hiking, adventure guy--who knew how to still have fun with the boys. We have a troop rep with the family and he is coordinating any response. His son has almost completed his Eagle project.

The family seems very well supported by both wings. In addition they were in the process of moving to another city.

Of course the scouters are in shock but I am wondering what would be some constructive ideas to help the boys deal with this.We started putting the word out at the PLC and it is out over social media. Some of the boys who worked with him the most (15 year olds probably had 5-6 years of contact with him) seemed visibly upset despite modern male teenage stoicism.

I'm sorry to hear that.

What are some ideas that the PLC want to do? What about any troop alumni?

When an active and beloved UC passed away, we had Scouts perform as a color guard. Also had a former youth of his on the unit level give a brief eulogy on him and his love of Scouting.

Recording stories is a good one.

This may or may not be appropriate, you gotta know the individuals involved and their view on the matter.

Have some type of ceremony where you thank him for all he's done. A little "roasting" to make it light hearted and fun may be in order. But again, you gotta know your audience. For me, I would not mind the funny stories.

• Upvote 1

We had our long serving Committee Secretary pass away a year or two ago. He was very active with the Troop. Great man. To honor him the many of the Scouts and leaders went to his memorial service and burial service in their Troop Uniforms. One of the Troop ASM's was a close friend of the deceased and told a few funny stories that he felt put the deceased in a good light during the Memorial Service.

If your Troop does anything, making a large showing at ceremonies for him, and supporting his Son and family is huge part of coping with the after affects.

Best wishes for everybody involved,

Sentinel947

When we had a scouter who was dying, regular transfusions of blood were a huge help. So, the boys canvased the neighborhood and hosted a blood drive for him. After he passed, they hosted it for many years in his honor.

• Downvote 1

We seem to be developing several tracks. The adults are organizing longer term family support once the initial 'rush' is over.That will largely be filled by Troop volunteers. Some of the boys and scouters are planning to cook a Patrol Box style menu this weekend for the family. At an upcoming meeting we will ask the boys to come up with some ideas and if scouters feel inclined to do an additional one will do so. Also trying to organize some adult scouters to commit to some long-term mentoring of the man's son. I did push hard for a big Troop turn out for the public service.

I guess a positive is that some of the scouters have used the opportunity to tell each other that they value their relationship. And I counseled a sad boy that told me he thought of me and the deceased as surrogate fathers, It is important to be reminded of that.

your troop could create an annual award for a Scout or Adult who best demonstrates his values or actions. or if your troop has a campground or activity area (for ex we frequently use a local rec area our charter org owns) you could erect a memorial or name something after him

• Upvote 1