Program Update Webinars - This saturday

Yes' date=' if you have a minute :) I know current Webelos I scouts are grandfathered in next program year and can continue with the old book. For the requirements that state earning a belt loop in the current book, do they just do what the belt loop required? I'm slowly doing more research on this and had our current leader for that den asking me this. I told her those joining scouts next program year, in fifth grade for the first time, had to go by the new book. Since she will likely have old scouts and new together wouldn't it be best to use the new book for all? I suggested a den split if she didn't want to, I didn't know of any other way. I hope that makes sense, I looked around on here after posting. Please clarify if I mixed anything up. Its always much appreciated![/quote']

Yes, it they are continuing under the old program and there was a required belt loop, you would complete the requirements for that. Although getting the belt loops would be difficult to get, the scout stores will probably have stock for a while, then ebay if they really wanted the hardware. Belt loops aren't entered in for internet advancement so they would just be tracked by the den leader.

• Upvote 1
A boy could always earn Aquanaut without being able to complete the swimming requirement' date=' so long as they "did their best".[/quote']

How? I'm confused. These look like they have to complete the requirements. Am I missing something?

1. Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke.
  2. Stay in the water after the swim and float on your back and your front, and demonstrate survival floating.
  3. Put on a personal floatation device (PFD) that is the right size for you. Make sure it is properly fastened. Wearing the PFD, jump into water over your head. Show how the PFD keeps your head above water by swimming 25 feet. Get out of the water, remove the PFD, and hang it where it will dry.

Yes' date=' it they are continuing under the old program and there was a required belt loop, you would complete the requirements for that. Although getting the belt loops would be difficult to get, the scout stores will probably have stock for a while, then ebay if they really wanted the hardware. Belt loops aren't entered in for internet advancement so they would just be tracked by the den leader.[/quote'] Thanks! That answers me perfectly. I know while doing these requirements, normally they'd earn activity pins, too. Is that recorded online? Since those are also phasing out, would it be suggested to acquire them the same way? I ask because we agreed, pack wide, to cease with all belt loops for the sake of preventing confusion with newer scouts, June 1st. We didn't vote on activity pins but I assumed they'd follow the same rule. I just hate those grandfathered in won't earn the old or new pins if they go by the old book. I also had no idea about the belt loop tracking. I keep track of all those earned by my den but I assumed our advancement person did as well (they use some program to plug awards in online, maybe its like cubtracker or something.)
Thanks! That answers me perfectly. I know while doing these requirements' date=' normally they'd earn activity pins, too. Is that recorded online? Since those are also phasing out, would it be suggested to acquire them the same way? I ask because we agreed, pack wide, to cease with all belt loops for the sake of preventing confusion with newer scouts, June 1st. We didn't vote on activity pins but I assumed they'd follow the same rule. I just hate those grandfathered in won't earn the old or new pins if they go by the old book. I also had no idea about the belt loop tracking. I keep track of all those earned by my den but I assumed our advancement person did as well (they use some program to plug awards in online, maybe its like cubtracker or something.)[/quote']

I talked to the manager of our scout store. She said that she will continue to carry the activity pins until next May (2016), I didn't ask her about how long she would carry loops and pins though. We use scouttrack for our tracking and they have said that each den will have the option about which set of requirements they are following. So theoretically, your pack could have a Web 2 patrol doing adventure pins and a Web 2 patrol doing Activity pins.

from everything I have gathered, the best place going forward to get the most comprehensive information regarding the changes should be your Roundtables. for example, (in my district at least) our february Cub Scout breakout session will be discussing the new adventure based advancement models.

March - Program Planning information

April - Pack/Den Meeting Plans

May - Aquatic Adventures

June - Campfire Programs

July - Resources for Packs and Dens

I talked to the manager of our scout store. She said that she will continue to carry the activity pins until next May (2016), I didn't ask her about how long she would carry loops and pins though. We use scouttrack for our tracking and they have said that each den will have the option about which set of requirements they are following. So theoretically, your pack could have a Web 2 patrol doing adventure pins and a Web 2 patrol doing Activity pins.

Thank you, that is perfect. I passed along everything you have posted in here to her, she sends her thanks as well!

• Upvote 1
from everything I have gathered, the best place going forward to get the most comprehensive information regarding the changes should be your Roundtables. for example, (in my district at least) our february Cub Scout breakout session will be discussing the new adventure based advancement models.

March - Program Planning information

April - Pack/Den Meeting Plans

May - Aquatic Adventures

June - Campfire Programs

July - Resources for Packs and Dens

Sadly, I will have to refer to online resources (including roundtable ones) at this point. Half the time, I am working during our RT meets. The other half, I attend but we recently got new commissioners (actually our roundtable meets are new as before we were only conducting pack info/etc. at them) so we're playing catch up on a lot. So far nothing has been brought up about the changes, it was left to me for the past month to relay what I had (and everyone else could look around online as well for info.) We're getting it together, slowly, but I will keep my eyes open (and my mind as far as our RT meets go) :)

The good news with that is, so far, everything I have used at roundtalbes regarding the new program, is stuff found on the program updates pages. Through my district comissioner I get it a little earlier than when its been posted on the updates page, but its the same stuff. so, while not ideal, the information is there for you, you just have to decipher it and relay it on your own behalf.

Keep pluggin' along, and stay tuned here. I don't claim to be an expert on the new program changes, but I feel so far I have a pretty good grasp on it. And what I don't know, i would bet there are other members here that do know! As this website has often been called before "welcome to the great online roundtable known as Scouter.com! lol

We record and webcast our cub round tables. If you guys want I can post the links to those when we start covering the changes. My guess that will be in April.

Really? that's an interesting idea? do you get many people to watch them? Could be an interesting idea to propose to my district. any chance there are any videos I could see as an example? not particularly new program related, just to get an idea of how you guys run it?

The good news with that is, so far, everything I have used at roundtalbes regarding the new program, is stuff found on the program updates pages. Through my district comissioner I get it a little earlier than when its been posted on the updates page, but its the same stuff. so, while not ideal, the information is there for you, you just have to decipher it and relay it on your own behalf.

Keep pluggin' along, and stay tuned here. I don't claim to be an expert on the new program changes, but I feel so far I have a pretty good grasp on it. And what I don't know, i would bet there are other members here that do know! As this website has often been called before "welcome to the great online roundtable known as Scouter.com! lol

Oh I definitely will (keep checking out the info and popping in here.) I appreciate everything everyone contributes on here. Even the banter and such that goes on, reading on here makes work go by quicker when I'm stuck on here til 1am most nights ;)

We record and webcast our cub round tables. If you guys want I can post the links to those when we start covering the changes. My guess that will be in April.

If you decide to do that, I'd gladly watch them!

Really? that's an interesting idea? do you get many people to watch them? Could be an interesting idea to propose to my district. any chance there are any videos I could see as an example? not particularly new program related, just to get an idea of how you guys run it?

Here is where we keep them. Video quality isn't the best but you get the ideas.

http://www.nsdbsa.org/forums/?mingleforumaction=viewforum&f=17.0

• Upvote 1