Program Update Webinars - This saturday

I will be watching it that afternoon :) Due to poor timing on my part, we have our CPR training that morning, immediately followed by a meeting I had planned a few months ago for our leaders to update them on all the new program changes coming. So I'll say my part, then we'll watch the 2nd airing of it. Hopefully I have all my ducks in a row and that airing won't prove I fudged up too much ;)

Bigger than district level but smaller than council level. This event would be very much like what most people know as Pow Wow. Here we call it Cub College and our council holds 3 of them every year. One up north (covers 3 districts), one down south (covers 3 districts) and one in what they think is the middle of the council (covers 2 districts).

So at the southern Cub College in March there will be classes like Derby Days, Pack Fundraising and Let's go Camping. But since the new Cub Program is starting in June and people are asking for more information we thought we would offer some classes that focus on that.

The problem is I am not having a lot of luck getting any more information than what is on Nationals "program updates" site. The original plan was to get the new Den Leader specific training manuals and develop our program from that. But now I have been told that those materials won't be out until March and that is too late.

Another huge road block has been a lack of support from our council and the districts for this. Most of the council and district leaders (professionals and volunteers) feel that we don't need to offer any extra help to the Cub Leaders during this transition period. Most of them feel we should wait until August or September to start talking about the new program if we do anything at all.

On the other hand I have more and more unit leaders asking questions about the new program all the time. The first thing they want to know is if we will be offering any training or anything to help them figure this out.

So I am working with a couple other volunteers and 1 professional scouter to gather as much information as we can about the new program from any place we can find it. We know about the Webinars and we know there is information coming out for use at Roundtables that we intend to use. We have all studied the program updates on the national web site. The professional scouter is supposed to be working on seeing what materials and/or resources he might be able to get that volunteers can't get yet.

Hopefully in a month or so we will have enough information to offer a hands on, fun and informative program for Pack Leaders at the end of March.

Chris, I wish you the best of luck with that. I've never did a training event before and like you, we've had a huge lack of support from our powers that be. This is why I stepped up to do our training (although mine isn't going past pack level for the time being.) I have compiled every single thing I've found online into a 7 page document, I plan on printing it, handing it out and going over it in more detail this Saturday. I was thrown into being a den leader a few years ago and self-taught myself everything I could. I felt these program changes would be the same way so I tried to take a good chunk of that confusion away from the rest of our leaders by studying up and having a meeting to let everyone air out concerns, address various aspects of it, etc. I too was hoping we'd have our leader specific manuals by now. But I feel confident that when they roll out, we won't be too confused that it will mess up our year. *fingers crossed*

As Assistant Cub Scout roundtable commissioner for our district, I along with our CSRC were tasked with presenting the new program changes. at our December meeting we showed the powerpoint listed on the program updates page. If you look closely there are printed "notes" to go along with the presentation. If you read those while showing the slideshow, its a good place to start. If you haven't seen the updated roundtable topics on the new program give me your email and I will forward what I have to you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Faith and good luck with your training as well. Training is my main scouting job so I feel comfortable putting a program together as long as I can find enough information to offer a quality program.

My problem is this course has to be hands on learning. So while the power point has a lot of good information it is not really a hands on learning experience. I know there are sample den meeting guides and sample adventures from the new books and that is probably what we are going to end up using, but I was hoping for more by now. It just seems like a lot more work than it should be.

• Upvote 1

what type of "hands on" learning are you looking for? I would think if you can get us a better idea, we could come up with something? Perhaps take one of the sample den meeting plans from the program updates page and stage a mock den meeting perhaps?

So I looked through the preliminary adventure pin requirements and started making a bingo card to translate them to current requirements/loops/stem

I kinda have to say that I like some stuff on the outdoors side of things but some things don't impress me at all like the heroes one and Aquanaut being watered down so that you can get it without actually being able to swim just attempt the test.

I'm looking forward to the propaganda tomorrow convincing us how exciting and awesome the new adventures are.

​What are your thoughts?

Sadly I missed both airings today due to our timing schedule being thrown off by a few hours (that's what happens when you don't double check ahead of time, lol.) How was it? Our training session went well, I believe, but there were a few things I could not answer (all pertaining to the upcoming Arrow of Light scouts who will be grandfathered in.) I hope I can find some more info on that to pass along!

all 3 sessions were pretty similar, the LDS ones had a few different questions directly related to LDS oddities. otherwise it was basically a review of all the information already out on the program updates page of scouting.org. nothing really new

• Upvote 1
Sadly I missed both airings today due to our timing schedule being thrown off by a few hours (that's what happens when you don't double check ahead of time' date=' lol.) How was it? Our training session went well, I believe, but there were a few things I could not answer (all pertaining to the upcoming Arrow of Light scouts who will be grandfathered in.) I hope I can find some more info on that to pass along![/quote']

As Daped said, not much new, Although they announced the price for the loops as $1.39 and pins are $1.89.

Current Webelos I's can complete the AOL under the existing program next year if you decide to. For new scouts next year they can earn the AOL standalone.

Any other questions?

• Upvote 1

Yes, if you have a minute :) I know current Webelos I scouts are grandfathered in next program year and can continue with the old book. For the requirements that state earning a belt loop in the current book, do they just do what the belt loop required? I'm slowly doing more research on this and had our current leader for that den asking me this. I told her those joining scouts next program year, in fifth grade for the first time, had to go by the new book. Since she will likely have old scouts and new together wouldn't it be best to use the new book for all? I suggested a den split if she didn't want to, I didn't know of any other way. I hope that makes sense, I looked around on here after posting. Please clarify if I mixed anything up. Its always much appreciated!