Well first I would not have called the fire department unless the kid had caught fire.

I'd call the locksmith and while we waited explained to dad that he would need to pay for the locksmith and the contents of the machine, which he could take with him as souvenirs along with his son. If he was unwilling to do that I would explained that breaking into the machine is considered criminal trespass and he would have to file a police report on behalf of the vendor. Dad's choice.

No no, what would you have done if you were the parent, Bob?

Hypothetical question..

I probably would have contacted the store first to see if they would open the device. I presume that they don't call the locksmith each time they must restock it. If the store didn't comply, I would inform them that mechanical kidnapping is a felony. haha..

Ed, "this never would have happened to me?" Hahahahah!!! That's the kind of statement that gives Providence a wicked little grin.. ;)(This message has been edited by Adrianvs)

As the parent, I would have smiled, asked my son if he was Okay. Told him not to worry we would help him get out in a few minutes. Ask the clerk to unplug the power from the machine. Asked him or her if they had the key. Called the vendor (the machine is required to have the vendor name on it) and see if they were close enough to come unlock it.

If not I would call a locksmith at my expense, offer to pay for any and all the toys that the clerk felt had been damaged. Had a laugh with my son, bought a throw-away camera and take a photo to show his mother. Kept my son happy until the locksmith got him out.

Get him home and make sure that he understood what he did was wrong and explained he would lose half his allowance until the locksmith was paid for.

But I'm cold like that.

Bob

This could only happen in a store named Piggly Wiggly !!

I don't if the question is right, in my case it might read "What would She That Must Be Obeyed do when she finds out ??

Man Oh Man, my life wouldn't be worth the dollar or the four quarters.

Still what a great story to tell in time to come.

Eamonn

I can answer only as a by-stander. I am not a parent.

I would pay $100 to the first person who could get a kid out with a quarter. Man, I've paid $3.00 in quarters trying to rescue a hulk doll (plastic) for my nephew. Anyone who can get a 7 year old out with a quarter and in for free is a hero of mine!

As for what Dan said, I got a grin out of that too (thanks Dan, I've needed a grin for a while.) He said: "I would have taken the phone away from "dad" and ground it underneath the heel of my shoe."

You must have some pretty big feet, Dan. It was a pay phone that Dad was on . . . not a cell phone :)

The question was raised in the article of what the other folks in the lobby were thinking when they didn't stop the kid from crawling into the machine. My theory is that they never thought he'd make it and didn't know what to do when he did.

Of course, as a cheesehead transplant who spent most of his life in Michigan, I wonder where Wisconsin folk learned to spell the name of the town. Sheboygan? In Michigan, it's Cheboygan. I mean if they can't spell the name of their own town, how are they supposed to stop a kid from crawling into a vending machine, let alone find a way out for him?

Having a bit of fun with this . . .

DS

My bad, I assumed it was a cell phone, even though I read the acrticle. I guess even my size 13s would not be big enough for a pay phone! And no I would never do that. Even though I may want to with some people on cell phones.(This message has been edited by dan)

The appropriate thing to do, since this is America, is to find a lawyer and sue Piggly Wiggly, owner of the game, and the manufacturer of the game. Go after millions for suffering and mental anguish and they may settle for enough to pay off your house and pay for college.