Ideas for Different Types of Outings

Yeah, BMX bike is not for distance touring. Neither is a 28 gear hybrid.

Bicycling Merit Badge. Look up the local Youth Hosteling/ Hosteling International USA chapter and talk to them about Bike touring. And the League of American Bicyclist chapter, same thing. Ask about Bike touring. If you don't have a BSA person who is experienced in such things, LAB can help you there. Local Bike Shop may have a contact or two, also.

I like variations on the primitive theme. This can be done backpacking really nicely. Take no matches. No cooking utensils. Improvise. For a real challenge, only allow fire by friction, no flint and steel...but you have to challenge them with some lessons ahead of time - it isn't necessarily easy.

In the heat of the summer, canyoning on a local river is fun. You basically swim down the stream and scramble over the boulders when needed.

We don't really get 'dead' of winter here and to me only the last week or so has been decent backpacking weather (below freezing). But the boys like creature comforts so when we do the winter outings, a good challenge is who can make the best camp food - no holds barred. It's surprising how creative they can be.

Speaking of the dead of winter, one of the boys suggested that we do a backpacking trip on skis or snowshoes. The logistics on that one may be too difficult in that most of the boys don't have cross country skis or snowshoes and because we don't have any lightweight 4 season tents. Another boy suggested a downhill skiing trip (will have to check G2SS on that).

Although not related to winter, one of the boys wanted to go deep sea fishing. I liked the idea but the rest of the PLC wasn't so excited about it.

I've never heard of canyoning. Based on a quick trip to Wikipedia, that sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, there aren't any canyons nearby and the nearest river (the Delaware) is not particularly safe to swim in due to the currents (there are usually several drownings a year -- almost all of which are related to underestimating the river's current and many involve alcohol). I like the idea of finding that swimming hole on the trail and taking a swim (of course following G2SS). It would probably be more fun if the boys just went in with their hiking shorts rather than changing into a bathing suit.

One ASM suggested going on a caving trip where we would camp in the caves. He knows several people who are very knowledgable about caving (they actually perform search and rescue in caves). Let's just say that I'm more of an elf than a dwarf.

Yeah the Delaware is way too big. You want to find a tributary stream that has good access and isn't precipitous in its gradient but has lots of little (up to 5 ft) waterfalls and cascades to slide and scramble over. Often there are trails along the shore but in the summer heat the water will feel a lot better and a lot more fun. We have many such opportunities in my region and it doesn't have to be over any long distance. One mile of solid scrambling can be a huge adventure.

For the Delaware, I'd suggest a raft trip or maybe canoes if you have them available.

We've done ski trips nearly every winter and right now is THE time to do it. What we have available doesn't compare to the West or Northern mountains but we've always had good experiences. Some of the slopes have campgrounds as well so we can combine a camping overnight with the skiing. Kind of pricey though so fundraising and planning are important.

I'm going to take a quick look at the Delaware to see if I remember any candidate tribs.

...I like the idea of finding that swimming hole on the trail and taking a swim (of course following G2SS). It would probably be more fun if the boys just went in with their hiking shorts rather than changing into a bathing suit ...

This is where you get state park/trail maps, and draw a radius reflecting how far you all want to travel. Then have the boys research points of interest within that radius.

Then, figure out how you can get by with minimum equipment. I met a troop from Michigan who was backpacking the North Country Trail in PA. They didn't bring tents. Each patrol was assigned two light-weight tarps. These were specifically designed for backpacking. But trade-off some weight, increase flexibility and 8'-by-8' or 8'-by-12' tarps would serve.

Iron Chef

WIlderness Survival - every Scout can bring a standardized container of whatever - that's it for the weekend.

Lost Boy(s) (We got actually "victims" from high school theater program to volunteer, assisted by our council's genius on first aid makeup.) Some items of "treasure" for surprises if they could solve puzzle to locate them.

Conservation - backpacked in 500 fir and spruce seedlings and planted them. Came back in four years and were happy to see how they had grown. Also carried out lots of beverage containers.

This is where you get state park/trail maps' date=' and draw a radius reflecting how far you all want to travel. Then have the boys research points of interest within that radius.[/quote']

I'm big on maps. I don't go anywhere without a map. I actually realized that the boys will probably never use a paper map for finding directions on a road... so at least they will learn to use one to find trails. I had the boys plan out hikes for the venture patrol last summer in a similar manner.

I'm still working on the minimum equipment for backpacking. We have a bunch of guys (including me) that like hammocks (works great when you can't find a flat spot for your tent). I've been looking at some silnylon tarps for a rainfly when backpacking (you only have to get drenched once to decide it is worth the weight) but some of those can do double duty as a tent or shelter.

Tahawk - Great ideas. I really like the tree planting idea. I'm trying to come up with a conservation project for our summer hike on the AT in Shenandoah so it will qualify for the backpacking merit badge. Of course, would want to contact the folks responsible for maintenance to get approval for anything like that. I saw a website that had great makeup for simulating injuries (which was much better than the ketchup used when I did WFA training).