Need Help NOW!!! for Eagle BOR tommorow

I NEED help NOW. I have my Eagle BOR tommorow but I dont know what sash to wear OA or MB. I prefer to not wear either because I feel thoese are for showing off and I feel that a BOR is no place for that. Help anyone I will check back tonight about 12:00PM eastern

FS

Wearing a merit badge sash is totally appropriate, and expected, for every Eagle BOR in which I have been involved. OA sashes should be worn for OA events only, so don't worry about the conflict in choosing one sash versus the other.

From where did this idea come that wearing a merit badge sash is immodest? FS, if not for a BOR, what would you consider a to be an appropriate occasion to wear your sash?

Since you're looking for answers, not a debate, I would absolutely wear the merit badge sash and proudly so. As Eisley says, the OA sash is for OA functions. I would think it inappropriate for a BOR.

I agree with TwoCubDad,

The mert badge sash is certainly approriate for this occassion. As Tamegonit points out, it is inappropriate to wear both, and neither is to be draped on a belt. The sash is either worn over the shoulder or not at all.

By the way Tamegonit, there is no such clasissification in the BSA as a "Class A" uniform.

Merit Badge Sash only. OA sashes are to be worn at OA function or when representing the OA. To show that you are member of the OA you should already be wearing the flap and the pocket rocket.

If you feel that a your MB sash is showing off, then what about your Life badge and any other badge or patch you have earned.

You earned them, wear them.

Unfortunately, the OA handbook is still ambigious on exactly when the OA sash is to be worn. I think the phrase is "OA functions, when representing the OA, or special scouting events." The "special scouting events" has been interpreted as widely as to include all scout events and as narrowly as to exclude all but OA functions. I really wish that the BSA would make a list of what events may be considered "special." hahaha

Regardless, I agree with the previous posters. Not only is the OA sash already represented on your uniform (in the lodge flap and arrow ribbon), but the merit badges have no other representation other than on their sash. Besides, an essential part of your trail to Eagle has been the merit badges that you have earned.

Good luck and congratulations on getting this far!!

I expect Scouts to show up for a BOR in as complete a uniform as possible. That includes a merit badge sash.

Take pride in your achievements.

BTW, iron your uniform. If your mom doesn't know how to iron (my wife couldn't iron a handkerchief), do it yourself or spend a buck and have a professional laundry do your shirt (most are "In by 9 - back by 5")

Another suggestion for your BOR is to wear your leather dress shoes and make sure they are shined beforehand. If the buckle on your Scout belt doesn't look like new, then get some brass cleaner and shine it up. If you do get your shirt cleaned and pressed, ask them to do a military press on it.

My best advice for you would be to relax and try to enjoy it. If you've made it this far, then you're probably pretty well qualified. If you weren't, your SM probably would have worked with you to take the necessary and make sure you were qualified.

"but the merit badges have no other representation other than on their sash. "

Not true. Check out the uniform inspection sheet.

The MB sash would be appropriate. While class A (field uniform) and class B (activity uniform) are not officially sanctioned BSA terms they are almost universally accepted phrases. Our council and our training staff uses the terms.

Congrats and good luck!

" While class A (field uniform) and class B (activity uniform) are not officially sanctioned BSA terms they are almost universally accepted phrases. Our council and our training staff uses the terms."

Doesn't make it right. Most people that watch baseball think that a "foul tip" is a ball that goes right back to the backstop but it isn't and never will be.

I wouldn't say that "class a" and "class b" are universally accepted terms. Rather, they are commonly misused. Many "council" people and "training staff" people promulgate misinformation. One of the biggest mucky mucks in our council proudly wears his youth eagle rank badge on his shirt, and says it's OK "per National".

First, wash your uniform, then ensure that all of your patches (rank, CSP, Lodge patch, unit numerals, etc...)are in good order, according to the scout handbook. If they are not, sew them on. Next remove any loose threads and then iron your shirt, kneckerchief and trousers. Then afix any Religious and/or Historical Trail medals you have earned as a boy scout, also any service stars (from cub scouts, boy scouts and exploring). Ensure that all of your merit badges are sewn on properly. If you still have any questions call and ask your Scoutmaster. Wear your uniform with pride and distinction, it reflects you!!!

Last, Congratulations and Good Luck!!!