Scouting (magazine) article on "The Scout-Led Troop"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know for me, the issue of boy-led vs adult is a symptom of a troop-method vs patrol method. In the article the writer discussed the problem with transitioning to a boy led troop. Instead the focus s

One Mark Ray and Scouting have graced us with an article on "The Scout-Led Troop."   Mr. Ray makes some good observations about the value of leadership training, but that is after he stumbles at

According to B.S.A., this article aside, the aspects of the troop that are to be boy-led are planning the program and leading the program for the patrols and the collection of patrols..   “

(^___^)

Sometimes "Hanlon's Razor": "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Or as my Scoutmaster observed after a fiasco of a Camporee: "They may just not be very good at it."

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the reply to my email pointing out this article to someone we all know, a regular spokesman for BSA. He, of course, had spotted the article. Since he did not give permission to give his name ( and I did not ask) I present his comments without attribution.

I read that same article...with utter dismay.

This is a black-and-white issue: Either the Patrol Method is in place, or it isn't. It's the same principle as "you can't be "a little bit" pregnant--you are are, or you're not.)

The nonsense about "not ready," "not mature enough," and the rest is just that: horsepucky.

The cold fact is this: Without the Patrol Method, it's just a bunch of boys in tan shirts being led around by a bunch of misguided adults who want to be Webelos III Den Leaders.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

While I understand the sentiment, I do demur somewhat to "Webelos III." Dens spend most of their time meeting separately, an advantage over the troop-method and therefore tend to identify as den members.

cleardot.gif