NYLT strip?

1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

In the 1970s, B.S.A. (and the U.S. Army) adopted a national training program for youth leaders called, successively, Troop Leader Development  Conference...

They did, and I just happen to have here a photo (well, I just took it actually) of the right sleeve of the uniform shirt that I last wore in 1976:

image.png.f05bf2f708734792edcb975f0460111e.png 

This patch was earned at the week-long Troop Leader Development course at Ten Mile River Scout Camps, Narrowsburg, NY, in the summer of 1973.  My recollection is that this was the first year that that course was given, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

What puzzles me is that this patch is in the place where the American Flag patch would be found. Why isn't there an American Flag patch on my old uniform shirt?  (That's a rhetorical question.)  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some I like, others not so much. But to point @The Latin Scot is making, if we allow everyone their own little "change" to things then you really don't have a "uniform" uniform, do we? I could ge

"Junior Leader Training," in the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s was a week-long outdoor leadership and Scoutcraft course based on a B.S.A. syllabus and offered by council, perhaps through a distric

Just get a jac-shirt and put anything you want on it.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I don't remember ever seeing that, so if it was, the point must have been either before 1966 or sometime between 1976 and 1998.

Cub Scouts in the 1980s had it over the right pocket. I want to say in 1989, when the flag came with the uniform, was when it went on the right sleeve for Cubs.

Boy Scouts had to earn it at one point I am told. Then it was placed onthe sleeve.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Cub Scouts in the 1980s had it over the right pocket. I want to say in 1989, when the flag came with the uniform, was when it went on the right sleeve for Cubs.

Okay, well that falls within the time period when I wouldn't have seen many Cub Scouts in uniform, or wouldn't have been paying much attention.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Boy Scouts had to earn it at one point I am told. Then it was placed onthe sleeve.

I definitely don't remember a time when the American flag patch had to be earned, and have never heard of that.

I know that the World Crest had to be earned at the beginning, but it was introduced after my time as a youth, and by the time I became a den leader it could be worn by anyone.

OK  I give up.  

Summary.  It used to be clear - flag patch optional.  Location moved to shoulder post 1980.  Status as optional or "required" clear as mud due to typical BSA-quality writing.

Edited by TAHAWK
software messed up :copy" of text to post by striking thrugh most text

Sorry, getting confused with my old age. Correct WC earned up until August 1, 1989 ( when I was in the middle of earning it in Canada :( ) I read somewhere, Mike Walton perhaps, that the flag was worn when doing international activities. Don't quote me on that.

Yes, I tried to post about international use (temp insig where Jambo patch goes) prior to September,1970,  unofficial Boys' Life statement (right shopulder), but the site app strikes through ll almost text.  Tried fiddling with it to accidentally fix, but no luck. 

One nice article made a good point that all manner of people at BSA can make statements about the uniform that have no effect since only National Council formally can change the uniform, and said last - in 1995 - that the flag is optional.  No truly official change that anyone has found yet, Pedro, the Handbook,  inspection sheets, and Scouting to the contrary not withstanding.  And, as usual, no official path to ask, being just volunteers.  I can tell you my council has no answer - just as perplexed as any here.  Keep asking if I have asked National but can suggest no way to go that.