Did I do or not do the right th

It was probably ignorance on their parts. We had a family camping trip last May at an amusement park. As we all sat down for the campfire one of the families cracked open some wine. After I told them it was against BSA rules they apologized and put it away.

Hey, Mashmaster. Don't beat yourself up over it. No one is perfect but the fact that you are worried about it shows that you care. Next time you see something like this you'll be prepared to make the call.

LeCastor

I agree totally with what LeCastor is saying here. Lesson learned! With me being a LNT Trainer I think I would be more upset with the fire being starting without proper approval. Anytime a fire is being prepared is a teaching opportunity for LNT.

I have been a non smoker for a year now (really all because of scouting) but I have kindly mentioned to smoking parents to please don't do it around my boys. Walk off into the woods, but bring your butts back! Being a former smoker I do understand and I get it, but I didn't do it around my boys!

Alcohol on the other hand is always a no no but even some of the higher ups wait till the boys go to bed! Sorry I am in RedNeck Country.

The answer to the fundamental question lies in the quick attempt those persons made to conceal their activity. They were wrong. And they knew it.

If there had been some kind of incident that eventually led to a legal inquiry...what would have been the answer if a prosecutor or a policeman asked if alcohol had been present?

This seems clearcut to me. I would have changed course and asked directly if they in the possession of alcoholic beverages. If the answer was 'yes' I would have advised them of the policy and that the policy demands that they remove it from the event. If they did have alcohol and they answered 'no' they would be liars and they would know it. If alcohol was present and they refused to remove it, I would have gone straight to the camp director, farther if necessary.

We all (I hope) learn from prior episodes and history. My question here is: Where was the camp? I do not know of any state or national park where alcoholic beverages are allowed. So: two problems... BSA policy and possible legality. Would've been good to start the conversation in a friendly manner or pass it on to the Park Ranger or Camp Director.

Good for you and your concern. You can be a Fire Warden in my camp anytime....

We all (I hope) learn from prior episodes and history. My question here is: Where was the camp? I do not know of any state or national park where alcoholic beverages are allowed. So: two problems... BSA policy and possible legality. Would've been good to start the conversation in a friendly manner or pass it on to the Park Ranger or Camp Director.

Good for you and your concern. You can be a Fire Warden in my camp anytime....

It was a BSA campground at Webelos Winter Camp. I don't know the legality of it, but they had cub masters in that group so they should have know the rules. But it was my bad to not say anything, lesson learned there.

Thanks for the vote for Fire Warden :-)

Happy new year!