Just noticed this article:

http://www.gazettextra.com/20141218/first_amendment_sure_you_can_say_that8212but_please_don8217t

And I thought that at the end of 2014 and near the beginning of the new year, it would be a nice thing to note that in spite of what was said in the article about so much negativity as discussed in the article, THESE FORUMS stand as an outstanding exception. I think Scouter.com also stands as an outstanding example of a group of people even from international sources who, with the foundation maintained by Scouter Terry, basically run things ourselves, mostly with great civility and [best of all] guided by the Scout Law, thus demonstrating IT'S relevance to all persons, in or out of scouting. So as the new year approaches, I offer this happy note of, yes pride, in this group of people, all of whom help set this outstanding example in these forums. Well done!

That article mentions that many web sites are removing comments because a small minority will take over and control the conversation. We also have a small minority that can control the conversation. The difference is our minority is driven by the Oath and Law and the others are driven by greed.

Thanks Moderators.

BTW, I see other websites that work and they too have a "play nice" policy that's enforced by moderators. These used to be called editors.

I think friendliness is a hallmark of this forum. I may stridently disagree with about half of what's said here, but I would be glad to have any of you around my campfire (so long as you bring a little wood for the fire, or spin a good yarn as we watch the embers die ;) ). Just like any real campfire, I'll take my leave when someone resorts to cussing. But, I also love tangents, and may stick around longer than need be to follow one ... So, thanks moderators, for keeping us focused on the task of scouting.

The vast majority of any 'credit' for being scoutlike goes to the membership themselves. I have often thought about how well these forums keep themselves under control. 'Moderation' is actually a pretty uneventful task...the members of these forums make it easy.

Q, wait, YOU disagree with something?! No way! ;). Yes, I jest. I do look forward to reading this forum everyday and, yes, we are fortunate to have a code of conduct so succint and useful as the Scout Law to guide us. I do agree, though, that a small handful of members shape the conversations. Is that good or bad?

I think that for the most part, it has always been a relatively small number of people who keep things lively here. But since the unfortunate rollout of the new forum platform there might be even fewer of them and I do note the absence of a number of regulars since that rollout. And I miss them.