Jason, this is where you'll have to tread lightly moving forward. The whole account thing is a touchy subject these days.

Understand yall's issue with it but our Council ENCOURAGES youth accounts for the soul purpose of Camps, dues, uniforms and books. Please fellow Beaver don't take this wrong but until our Council says there is a problem then there is no problem.

I believe in individual scouts selling their fair share.

Understand yall's issue with it but our Council ENCOURAGES youth accounts for the soul purpose of Camps, dues, uniforms and books. Please fellow Beaver don't take this wrong but until our Council says there is a problem then there is no problem.

Jason, I love the Tennessee "ya'll". :) I got no worries, brother Beaver.

Jason-

It isn't OUR issue with ISAs, it is the IRS and National Council. ISAs are a violation of the tax code, and I think your CO would also take issue, since they are ultimately responsible for the financial affairs of the Units that they charter. Sorry to keep chiming in about this, but Scout Law...

First post here, but I've had a lot of experience with tax-exempt entities over the years.

Your council is just plain wrong, and is doing a disservice to all of the scouts and leaders involved. Of course, there is no real bad outcome for the council, since their bad advice won't affect their tax exemption or bank account balance. By having ISA's you are endangering your CO's tax exemption. The guidance from the IRS, and BSA is very clear on this.

for those selling camp cards here are some things that members of our troop have done that had great success.

Call bowling alley, get permission, and find out when leagues are and go and sell.

Ask their church if they can stand out at the end of services - they usually stand near a poster saying what they are doing.

send out a facebook message and ask their parents to do the same and ask that if be shared.

and these are done by the scout and have either another scout or their parent go with as their buddy. They've found when there are already groups gathered it's easier than going door to door and also found that sometimes the adults there help spread the news "hey ______ come here this kid has $5 off for _________ stores"

Our council did this as a spring fundraiser last year and it flopped majorly. The main buisnesses on the card were located in or near the city our Council offices are, which are 4 + hours away from a lot of the units in our council.

I live in Chattanooga, TN and we sell the crap out of these. I think our pack sold almost 1000 of these last year, not sure of the exact total.

Ours is a credit card sized middle, with 3 tears off. We have Publix, Ace Hardware and Sportsman's Warehouse as sponsers for tear offs. Papa Johns, an oil change place and some more on the middle. Sportsmans lets one Pack per day set up outside. We have sold a few hundred on a Saturday. Granted.. we have a few smart parents on our committee who set up show and sell's to coincide with hunting opening days. They tear off is $10 per $100 and SW let them use multiple cards. We had people buying 10 and 20 cards.

If you have good sponsers that are in your council, then you should do well.

Good luck!

I had one kid last year that single handedly sold 750

Awesome! My son wants to tell a bunch this year. We don't sell many as individuals.. but we do very well at show and sells..

However, my son sold $3098 in popcorn this year and he wants to sell that much in camp cards. Don't know if I can handle that. Popcoen nearly killed us and we have cookies coming up.

From the original national presentation on Camp Cards (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/financeimpact/pdf/Camp_Card_Presentation-National_Meeting.pdf):

Private Benefit Considerations

Councils should make sure that any sales materials, instructions, and support information do not make reference to individual scouts earning money for their own participation in Scouting activities.

When the council is remitting proceeds, from any sale, back to units, provide guidance on distribution of funds. Encourage units to develop fund distribution plans that include other criteria than sale of items.

These might include:

1. Participation in the camp card sale
  2. Participation in the program
  3. Leadership
  4. Scout Spirit
  5. Advancement

A portion of the proceeds from any sale or activity should be set aside from general unit expenses and could include funds used for assistance to members with financial need.

So while National has finally figured this out, your Council is wrong and not paying attention (just like mine isn't either - they have no clue on this issue).

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you operating too far from Council HQ. After you've tried camp cards for a couple of years - to gain experience on the selling end - create your own locally based card with your own local merchants. You can put the excess merchants on flyers you enclose with the card. Try hard to get the printing donated in return for a mention on the card and profuse thanks with photo in the local paper. Keep 90%. Send Council 5% as thanks for their good works