New Cub Scout Adventure Program

How is your Council and/or District planning on rolling out the new Cub Scout Adventures program? Are they planning any trainings or other special events? Holding special Roundtable Breakouts? Or are they just referring people to the program updates web site and other information being put out by National?

One of my scouting jobs is to coordinate adult leader training events for 3 districts in our council. Every year we hold a training event similar to a Pow Wow or U of Scouting (smaller scale) that we call Cub College. For our next Cub College in March I would like to offer either an all day session or several shorter sessions that focus on the new Cub Scout program. Cub Scout leaders are telling me if I offer the program they will come. My planning committee for the event is also excited about the new program and would love to offer a new exciting program for the cub leaders.

My problem is everyone I have talked to at the District/Council level, professional and volunteer, feels there is no need to offer any type of support for Cub Scout Leaders during this transition. "People will figure it out" is what I am hearing. Normally this would not matter to me. I have enough experience running training events I don't need the nay sayers. But this time I need some help and I am not sure where to go.

Since national has not released the training manuals for the new program yet my committee will have to develop our own program to "train" Cub Scout Leaders on the new program. I have seen what national has put on the "program updates" web site and I know there are Webinars coming up in January. We want a hands on, fun, exciting program to get people fired up about the new program. We even though about letting kids participate and actually do some of the activities.

Which brings me back to my original question - How is your District/Council planning on rolling out the new Cub Scout Program?

I've seen nothing on my council calendar indicating there will be any training at all. So for me, as a cubmaster, I plan on getting my head around the changes ASAP and holding my own training for my den leads over the summer. It would be nice if national put out a training program for councils to deliver along with the new material so every council did not have to reinvent the wheel.

at our last roundtable, I presented the Powerpoint Presentation listed on the program updates page. As a district, we plan on covering this topic a few more times before the end of the school year, before the program goes live. After next month's webinar's I suspect we will know a lot more about what to expect and how to roll it out at the Unit level.

If memory serves, CS Roundtables in March, April, and May are suppose to be going over the changes to the program per the CSRT guidebook. Grant you, the CS RT book for 2014-15 was written a year ago and some of the info in the booklet may be out of date, but the book does give a link to the updates website and says to keep a lookout on it.

I know at our UoS in late February 2015, I was told we were going to have sessions on the new program with one of the folks on the committee giving the presentations. I'm looking forward to that because 5 days later is my CS RT and I have to do the presenting then.

As to BALOO, and OWL, until otherwise directed I'd keep to those syllabi. BUT I would mention changes as you know them, i.e.camping required for the ranks now, changes to the Webelos Activity Pins (WAPs) etc.

• Upvote 1

Our district/council has not announced any formal transition program yet, but it seems from the writing on the wall that it will be a gradual shift starting next spring and summer. As a Tiger DL, it's not been on my radar as much as the Webelos leaders'.

This is from an email I got from national. Hope it helps

January 17 Webcasts on the New Cub Scouting Program

A new Cub Scouting program is launching June 1, 2015, that will be more fun and exciting for boys, and easier to implement for unit leaders. To ensure you are ready to make the transition, a number of webcasts will be hosted on January 17 to outline the coming changes, how to prepare, and when resources will be available.

Cubmaster Webcasts: Saturday, January 17, at 8 a.m. (Central), or Saturday, January 17, at 3 p.m. (Central)

Den Leader Webcasts: Saturday, January 17, at 9:30 a.m. (Central), or Saturday, January 17, at 4:30 p.m. (Central)

LDS-Specific Considerations* Saturday, January 17, at 11 a.m. (Central), or Saturday, January 17, at 6 p.m. (Central)

* It is recommended that those interested in the LDS session view one of the role-specific sessions first.

Although the content will be geared to the roles listed, anyone with an interest in learning about the new Cub Scouting program is welcome to attend.

The sessions will be recorded for later viewing.

It's easy to attend! Just navigate your Internet browser to http://www.livestream.com/bsanationalcounciland you are ready to view the webcast!

As always, for more information on the new Cub Scouting program, please go to www.scouting.org/programupdates.

Help spread the word about the webcasts to ensure others are ready for the new Cub Scouting program!