WOSM: Six Hundred Million

World Organization of the Scout Movement documents 600,000,000 service hours around the world. Have you listed YOURS?, Messengers of Peace specific, but let's see if Scouting for Food, Eagle projects, Troop projects might be included too!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...536914&fref=nf and https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater

Based on 30 million ish scouts in the world that works out to an average of 10 hours each per year. Given that some of those scouts will be very young cubs, beavers etc who are probably unable to put as many hours in and that average is probably a lot higher for those a bit older. Pretty impressive!

• 2 months later...
<< Have you listed YOURS?, >>

No, and I don;t intend to.

The constant demands on the time of volunteers for pointless record keeping are a bad feature of BSA, in my opinion.

You can't find someone who isn't a martyr to do just the logging?

I have a hard enough time doing the commissioner UVTS inputs. SCOUTNET is a pain to use, and I have high speed internet. I live in a rural area, and I remember it taking 4+ hours to download the online YPT due to connectivity. So I know we have units not logging in their service. Heck we have units not doing internet advancement still.

I was always taught' date=' "do a good turn daily", but don't seek recognition for doing so.[/quote']

The only guy I ever saw whinging about the 5 seconds it takes to do service logging in real life was wearing at least 15 activity badges on his ludicrous right pocket. I think the best part about this conversation is the parallel visibility conversations in the Program forum.

'99,

Not everyone has internet service as fast as you do. Heck I know of a pack whose CM doesn't even own a computer!

As a district level volunteer, I liked UVTS, WOSM's MoP, and other record keeping programs. But now that I have to use UVTS, and SCOUTNET, I have major issues with the network and programs they are using.

Heck I'm still waiting for SCOUTNET to transfer membership and training records between councils like it was promised to us back in 1998!

The only guy I ever saw whining about the 5 seconds it takes to do service logging in real life was wearing at least 15 activity badges on his ludicrous right pocket. I think the best part about this conversation is the parallel visibility conversations in the Program forum.

What internet activity should I stop doing so that I remember to log service hours? What if my youth have qualms about "bragging" about hours? Should I do it anyway?

Come to think of it, this would be an ideal job for the troop scribe.

During roll-call, the SPL would request after action review from each patrol.

Then and there the scribe would key in the data as it is given.

Now, if only our CO gave us access to their internet ...