"Show" for first aid -- ideas please

Consider this.

Scouting is not a sit and listen program. Even at the Cub level it is meant to be hands-on, and interactive. Moulange can be simple or complex injuries. Elmers glue can be used to simulate 2nd degree burns, rouge can look like sunburn, Halloween makeup can make a person look cyanotic and in need of rescue breathing, or make the victim pale, and mist then with water and glycerin to look sweaty and pasty like a heart attack victim.

Go ahead, be a big spender and bust open some band-aids. Do they know how to treat a cut on a knuckle or the palm of the hand?

When they demonstrate treating poison ivy how do they know what the rash will look like? When they wash after plant contact do they show you that they use a lot of lather and a flushing rinse?

These are not things you can read or talk about and expect to retain. This needs to be hands on doing/learning whether Cub Scouting or Boy Scouting.

It makes the meeting fun and adventurous for the boys. It's also more rewarding for the teacher than just being a talking head.

Thanks ScouterPaul,

These are the discussions I would much rather have as well.

Bob

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

NJCubScouter--yes, Boys Life still has the True Stories of Scouts in Action. It is my youngest son's favorite feature. The oldest reads it and says "awwwwesome" -- high praise indeed :)

No, my husband wasn't expecting those answers, but then he's just the kind of guy who would love to create gory and gruesome injuries. As for the simpler kind, which are also important, he'll do it. He'll find a way to inject humor into that too.

By the way, a word of caution. I learned we had a Webelos who had a weak stomach. Poor kid--he's not ready for Bob's version of First Aid yet! All we had done was to go over the pages in the Webelos book to get a sneak peek at what they were going to do the following week.