Roundtable Attancence

I'll second Basement's point. The Overbearing District Olde Boy Knot Squad is not comprised of folks that have interest in being utilized for the good of the units, or befriended or, understood. In fact, quite the opposite.

Most of them have little to no experience at the unit level. If they have experience, it was years ago and something they only draw on to bolster their scouting reputation. Some have dual positions at district and unit, but usually conduct themselves in the same way at unit level. In truth, most have little interest in the units; instead they are focused primarily on WB, FOS, district stuff, council and national matters. They've got their clique and that is the extent of their social and scouting involvement.

In my years of moving, it followed a standard pattern. I'd show up to my first RT or any other district meeting and some would seek me out, and I'd seek others out who avoided me. Work the room. I'd be on my best manners, firm handshake, introduce myself, looking forward to serving with you, learning the ropes from y'all here at X District, etc. Then, like clockwork: their eyes squint, glance at my knots, then my lack of WB beads, then my Philmont Arrowhead...then perhaps some polite formal chit chat. Some wouldn't even do that--they'd look at me like I came from outer space and walk away without making eye contact or telling me their name (which I guess they didn't need to do, as they usually wear the most ornate name badge possible on their uniform).

Over time, some would come around and be friendly. Others, never. Regardless, collectively this same bunch would block qualified volunteers to fill district vacancies, talk down to unit leaders, strut around at meetings, show their plumage, etc., and a lot of other things that added nothing to the needs of the unit level men and women who were sitting in the metal folding chairs, tired, hungry, having worked a full day.

So if your district doesn't have an Olde Bunch, count your lucky charms (I do--my current district has a grand total of zero, good folks all). But they are out there. And more than any single thing I can think of, these old blowhards run off more new talent and fresh blood than anything else in the BSA.

No scouter needs to put up with that kind of crap. "But they fill important district roles!" some say. I say: no district role is that important, if it means the unit leaders are being ill-treated and ill-served.

PS. LeCastor, there is no "engaging" the olde boys, they only recognize capitulation or outright conflict.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

free beer works every time

Aww geewhizzer shucks JoeBob, once a week is four emails a month. I come up with enough new stuff (activities up coming, training schedule opportunities, Park service possibilities, Eagle project

For about seven years I missed two roundtables -- one was when I was on Wood Badge staff the other was National Camp School. Then my son's Communication MB counselor suggested he go to RT to take not

Not my original observation, but it fits the type described: "They seem to think Scouting would be even more fun if we could just get rid of kids."

In our area, driven out of district positions, they came to dominate the Campmaster Corps. They would hide in the gas-heated cabins, watch movies, cook, play cards - anything but function as Campmasters. New management of the camps a couple of years ago replaced them with helpful sorts who actually do what a Campmaster is supposed to do, Not sure what's become of them.

Short of adult help as we are, it can be hard to find a position in which some can actually contribute,

That may be true in your districts and council that it is comprised on people out of touch with units. Our district committee and round table staff are comprised of current unit leaders from different levels of scouting. I am sorry that your district is this way and that really sucks. I hope that my district is more the norm than yours for all of us scouters that work very hard to make a great experience for the boys, teaching them to become great men.

I respect all of you for doing what you are doing, it is a thankless job but we believe in the program otherwise we wouldn't do it. Nothing is black and white. Some districts will have better volunteers that others, we can't fix that other that volunteer more....

PS. LeCastor, there is no "engaging" the olde boys, they only recognize capitulation or outright conflict.

Our district chairman calls these people "toxic Scouters". I personally don't let those people get in the way of my having a positive Scouting experience. If you do then you let them beat you down and make you cynical. If t he toxic Scouters are taking over your roundtable, maybe you need to "raise the red flag" and call them out on it. The Scout Law applies to them, too, n'est-ce pas?

"~~Our district chairman calls these people "toxic Scouters". I personally don't let those people get in the way of my having a positive Scouting experience. If you do then you let them beat you down and make you cynical. If t he toxic Scouters are taking over your roundtable, maybe you need to "raise the red flag" and call them out on it. The Scout Law applies to them, too, n'est-ce pas?"

LeCastor, here's the rub. Some districts, the old boys have all the chairs. And if they don't, they have people who are sympathetic to them or afraid of them (or numb to them) in the other chairs. So things don't change. You either grit your teeth and endure it, or spend your time and energy fighting city hall. If you've got a chairman who has the courage to stand up to toxic scouters, I say hazzah and I wish there were more like him/her. But a new guy/gal or someone low on the totem pole is not going to effect much change, even if they like fighting the tide.

Again, having moved a lot and seen this dynamic in four districts (I don't count my current/fifth district, as they are good scouters), I clearly understand what Joe Bob and Basement and others are articulating on the subject.