Does this make any of the advice given change? or should I primarily focus all my goals on the pack? I understand one of the goals has to include how to increase diversity in scouting? that one is going to make me think a bit.

Think in terms of things you've been meaning to do, but haven't done, yet you could do if you put your mind to it -- even if other people don't help you. So, your goal for the district campout is ambitious, but what if nobody shows? The real goal for you would be to identify key volunteers, find a date on the schedule, and if all goes well, promote it.

Goals should focus on your primary position. And, like in SSScout's case, your ticket guide will help you sort through what fits and what doesn't. So, brainstorm now, but be prepared to do a lot of editing over the training weekends.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just registered for Wood Badge in the next Council over from me Course C1-286-15. (much closer drive than the one that will be held next summer in my council). Can anyone give me any tips to prep

So, this happened while the site suffered its blow to the head   

Always think about tickets .... but don't worry about it that much. You have a long time for those.   When you are there, participate ... AND keep your eyes open and watch everything. I'd been

Could a goal be as simple as getting a functional pack committee? When I joined the pack as a Tiger leader 1 or 2 people did everything. It lead to a poor program, which is what prompted me to step up as cubmaster. I have been working on improving that, but we still have a long way to go.

Could a goal be as simple as getting a functional pack committee? ....

That is not a simple goal. It's more like a vision. But, there are lot's of goals that could help you toward that vision. For example,

• Contact 10 parents about promising to attend committee meetings.
  • Aggressively promote training opportunities for unit adults.
  • Develop a cub-coordinated recognition for adult leaders.
  • With the CC, draft a yearly agenda.

One of those, or something else might be within your reach. Anyway, keep your vision, but keep in mind that you'll be revising A LOT.

Whoa' date=' folks, let's not try to do WB on the internet. Let him go and see (hey, that's a Tiger thing!) and talk in person to a real human (we hope!) Patrol Guide....[/quote']

Hey! It's not like I'm telling the guy to read up on the Prisoner's dilemma.:rolleyes:

I didn't reply for Dp01's sake alone. There are a lot of folks who may think goal-setting has to be something grand and glorious. I thought a little example of "eating the elephant in small chunks" might help someone build up their appetite for attending WB wink.png ... just in case this one thing might be intimidating them.

P.S. - Metaphor, folks: don't anyone go eating elephants. They're endangered.

Aggressively promote training opportunities for unit adults.

Aggressively promote could be an email - or a hundred other things

Try: "Spend X hours communicating to unit adults in person about training opportunities and benefits."

I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. the dialogue has definitely has opened my eyes to things ahead. Keep the advice coming :) I am pretty excited to learn all I can. I've been scouring the internet for WB information. Found some good Youtube Videos that have got me pretty excited.

Go with an open mind. Participate. Have fun. Try to go with the flow. And on day 2 remember, it is just a game.

When thinking about your ticket, think about where you are in scouting now and where you would like to be.

Don't worry about specific goals just yet. They will change as you go through the course.

The goal should be measurable. How would you measure "pack committee is functional"? The ticket/goal should follow the SMART system. Specific' date=' Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-based[/quote']

I guess for sake of this discussion, "getting a functional pack committee" was a broad statement, if it is/does become part of my ticket of course I would figure out a way to make it workable as far as being Specific, Measureable, attainable, etc. As a pack committee, we are in FAR better shape than we were even 6 months ago, so this might actually not even be relevant once I take woodbadge. it was more to gain ideas as to what is a good

... As a pack committee' date=' we are in FAR better shape than we were even 6 months ago, so this might actually not even be relevant once I take woodbadge. ...[/quote']

After my experience, I would suggest: don't assume that you've arrived. Our crew was a year out from its high adventure, planning was going smoothly, so I did not make any aspect of that trip part of my ticket. Chaos ensued, consuming 90% of my scouting time, and I had precious little reserve to work a ticket of five goals that were unrelated to guiding a crew safely to the Bahamas and back. I joked with another scouter who was trying to help me send the law after an owner of an airline who welched on us without returning a dime that I felt like I had earned a ticket twice over on this one adventure -- but I still had 4/5 of a ticket to work!

Something in your brain is telling you there's still a thing or two that you need to do for that particular vision to be fulfilled. You're most likely not going to find out what that thing or two is by corresponding here in internet land! Thus the course, and a patrol, and a ticket guide, and a couple of weekends of jawing. Believe it or not, sitting and talking (not typing) is still a thing. ;)

oh, trust me, we will never "arrive" fully, with the constant rotation of parents, I know it'll be a constant topic to be worked out. And of course I'm sure there will be times where someone just ups and quits, or something similar. Having an idea of what to do in each situation will help in the long run.

To prepare for woodbadge: give the pre-course questions some serious thought. Don't worry about tickets yet. General ideas of things you want to accomplish are good. The course will help you figure out how to write a ticket. Don't write tickets that are dependent on anyone else doing something. Be open to the experience. Expect your brain to be overwhelmed after the first weekend.