Well nearly 2 months out of the practical phase of WoodBadge, I'm 2/5ths of the way done with my ticket.  Will have the 3rd done june 2nd.  The final one is an event scheduled for august.  So.......hope to have them all completed by the time our Den meetings take off in the fall!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just registered for Wood Badge in the next Council over from me Course C1-286-15. (much closer drive than the one that will be held next summer in my council). Can anyone give me any tips to prep

So, this happened while the site suffered its blow to the head   

Always think about tickets .... but don't worry about it that much. You have a long time for those.   When you are there, participate ... AND keep your eyes open and watch everything. I'd been

I should add, the 5th one is a joint effort with our affiliated Troop, incorporating Den Chiefs into the den (SM attended WB with me, and we are both using this as a goal!)  if all goes as planned, they should be installed by the start of den meetings as well. 

We have SMs doing stuff like this (special projects that benefit scouting) all the time...for the heck of it. Scouters should do that more...just because

• Upvote 1

We have SMs doing stuff like this (special projects that benefit scouting) all the time...for the heck of it. Scouters should do that more...just because

That's one of my concerns: ticket items. They are suppose to be something related to goals and something you've never done before. I'm super involved on the district level, and not as involved on the council level do to A) lots of family issues of late, B) work C) I'm involved with 2 units, and D) all the district stuff I do. I know I'm already stretched thin, and see the tickets stretching it even further.

But the idea behind ticket goals is learning how to formulate a goal and make it reality.  It's not about "one and done."  You have 18 months to complete the ticket which is plenty of time.  

No, you don't have to take Wood Badge to make goals and improve Scouting in your area of influence, as it were.  Wood Badge is just another training opportunity that happens to focus on vision and mission.  Where to you want to go and how are you going to get there?  

You are never truly done working your ticket.

• Upvote 1

After helping my Troop reestablish the Patrol Method, and the amount of time, sweat and effort that's taken, I could never take on 5 more projects of the same scope. My tickets this fall will be modest in scope. Alot like my Eagle project 4 years ago. As LeCastor said, tickets aren't necessarily huge things. They should be helpful and useful. I really fail to understand why Wood Badge is so controversial here. I guess I'll find out in the fall.  

Sentinel947 

After helping my Troop reestablish the Patrol Method, and the amount of time, sweat and effort that's taken, I could never take on 5 more projects of the same scope. My tickets this fall will be modest in scope. Alot like my Eagle project 4 years ago. As LeCastor said, tickets aren't necessarily huge things. They should be helpful and useful. I really fail to understand why Wood Badge is so controversial here. I guess I'll find out in the fall.  

Sentinel947 

I can only speak for myself as to why WB is "controversial".

• In my area the WB'ers are very condescending to those who do not wear the regalia. If you are not WB you are seen as a lesser scouter. I actually had a group of WB'ers tell my ex-recon marine sniper/corpsman at RSO training that he'd be "worth something" if he took WB. He just looked at me after it was said with a smile. I know he was mentally picturing each one of them in his cross hairs at 800 yards picking off their beads without hurting them, just to demonstrate how "worthy" he is.
  • The WB program is nothing most of the scouters in my unit already know...darn well. Some have taken WB and reported back how useless it was if you had (x) or (y) skill set already. For some it works. For those with deep experience and Scouting knowledge, less so; hence why many here would like to see an advanced WB course for those who already have that skill set. Also, there should be a way to test out of WB.
  • Personally, in what is hailed as a boy-led program, there's far too much talk given to adult awards. Whether OA or WB or knots or anything, the focus should be on the boys, not the adults. I think all the adult bling perpetuates this elitist mentality. Of course there are those with the bling that are not like that, but for me and my scouters the who adult bling thing is a bit much. We can live and let live, but in our neck of the woods it is hard.

For me true servant leadership should be done without any expectation of award or recognition. That's my philosophy. I know many others disagree.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Sentinel947

It's contriversal because there is an illusion of getting more from the course than intended. It's a course of learning how set realistic goals to move toward a vision and building a team to help achieve those goals. But many hope to be converted to experts in scout skills and patrol method. That is not what the course is about.

As the course ASM for Troop Guides, I was responsible for approving all the participants tickets, so I can give some advice. Ticket items are supposed to toward your vision of your responsibility. I find that many participants don't really know what their responsibility is. Some are new and just haven't been given any expectations or title, so I advise they sit down with the person who is guiding them. Some participants have several responsibilities at different levels of the program like Eagle94, so they aren't really sure where to apply the tickets. I suggest they see themselves two years down the road and consider the applying the tickets in that direction.

Also folks don't see themselves in the big picture of the program. A CM considers assisting the Webelos leader because the den struggles. I suggest they instead recruit assistant leaders at all levels and getting them trained. A much smaller ticket item in terms of effort, but much more important for overall unit performance. I tend to push people to think big in terms of their future, but small in tickets toward that future.

Same goes with scouter who already feels over burden; I have a thing for burnout, so I guide those adults to change or tweek their responsibilities to be less stressful. Yes, changing task to make your life easier can be a ticket item. I fact, I try to guide most ticket items toward that direction.

I dont like and didn't allow ticket items that forced control over the scouts like getting all first year scouts to first class in one year. I instead ask them to build the program so a scout is not hindered to advance at a pace of his choosing.

Another common ticket is changing a part of the program without approval from the unit leaders like changing the patrol age structure without discussing it with the SM.

As for how to approach WB, the two groups of adults who struggle the most are the adults who think they all ready know it all and want to keep reminding everyone of their knowledge. As I said, this is not a scout skills patrol method teaching course (50% of our participants are cub leaders), so even the best of us can learn about setting goals and building functional teams.

The other group that struggles are the adults that think they have a better way and want to debate every subject in the course. Some folks have a chip on their shoulder because some Wood Badger in their past was a little uppity. I advise both these folks to relax and not be so tempted to influence other participants own personal experiences.

WB is an enjoyable course if you are willing to open your mind. Most course teams are very good, but they are only as good as the course director. Once in a while, well it's a shame really.

Don't over think WB. It's not the end all course it used to be. In fact it really is more the beginning all if done correctly.

And if you don't get to be a Bob White, well that is still ok.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 2

I can only speak for myself as to why WB is "controversial".

• In my area the WB'ers are very condescending to those who do not wear the regalia. If you are not WB you are seen as a lesser scouter. I actually had a group of WB'ers tell my ex-recon marine sniper/corpsman at RSO training that he'd be "worth something" if he took WB. He just looked at me after it was said with a smile. I know he was mentally picturing each one of them in his cross hairs at 800 yards picking off their beads without hurting them, just to demonstrate how "worthy" he is.
  • The WB program is nothing most of the scouters in my unit already know...darn well. Some have taken WB and reported back how useless it was if you had (x) or (y) skill set already. For some it works. For those with deep experience and Scouting knowledge, less so; hence why many here would like to see an advanced WB course for those who already have that skill set. Also, there should be a way to test out of WB.
  • Personally, in what is hailed as a boy-led program, there's far too much talk given to adult awards. Whether OA or WB or knots or anything, the focus should be on the boys, not the adults. I think all the adult bling perpetuates this elitist mentality. Of course there are those with the bling that are not like that, but for me and my scouters the who adult bling thing is a bit much. We can live and let live, but in our neck of the woods it is hard.

For me true servant leadership should be done without any expectation of award or recognition. That's my philosophy. I know many others disagree.

+1

• Upvote 1