Just go. Bring an open mind. Bring good camping gear, coffee cup, good camp chair and warm clothes. Do not go in with preconcieved ideas or notions. Be ready to have fun. You will meet and create new friendships and memories. That is all you need. Ok, besides your Class A uniform.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just registered for Wood Badge in the next Council over from me Course C1-286-15. (much closer drive than the one that will be held next summer in my council). Can anyone give me any tips to prep

So, this happened while the site suffered its blow to the head   

Always think about tickets .... but don't worry about it that much. You have a long time for those.   When you are there, participate ... AND keep your eyes open and watch everything. I'd been

I took Wood Badge this past summer and am currently in the process of working my ticket. My advice? Plan for hard work and long days on the weekend that you are there. I also took my WB out of council and am really happy I did. I am very familiar with the people who usually instruct my council's courses, so everyone was new to me at my WB and it was very refreshing to meet up with new people and learn different perspectives- especially different council perspectives. Have a few ideas in mind for your tickets, but as stated by others, don't fully lock yourself in to your ticket ideas until you get to the course and spend your first weekend there. You may get a whole new set of ideas from some of your fellow WB participants or the staffers. And definitely- be your critter!!! lol Good luck and have FUN!

If you can take the day off work the Monday after your course weekends. Unless you are an extremely energetic person or a great sleeper. I did not take any time off except days to be at camp and was exhausted after each weekend.

Woodbadge isn't for everyone. I have friends who I respect who loved it. I was very frustrated by it. I felt that the substance of it was OK' date=' especially if you haven't been to a lot of leadership and training seminars, but there was, in my opinion, a lot of time wasted on fluff that was more related to joining a fraternal order -- silly songs, marching, legends about its origins, and some head games with "surprises" designed to keep you guessing about what came next. Find someone who knows you who has gone and will be able to judge whether you as an individual will really enjoy it. I have told some people I think they'd be OK with it, and I've warned others that I think they'd go as crazy as I did.[/quote'] How does WB relate to venturing? patrols? (none in crews) Which uniform? . if i wore our "official" crew uniform I'd stick out like I had two heads.
How does WB relate to venturing? patrols? (none in crews) Which uniform? . if i wore our "official" crew uniform I'd stick out like I had two heads.

Depends on the course, on mine, the SPL, a troop guide and 4 participants plus several instructors were in thier Crew uniforms (most went with the green uniforms) but Venturing as well as Cub Scouts are part of Wood Badge, heck they even let in Varsity Scouters. ;-)

~~""How does WB relate to venturing? patrols? (none in crews) Which uniform? . if i wore our "official" crew uniform I'd stick out like I had two heads. ""

WB is a Leadership course. It's lessons can be applicable to any Scout program, church program, work site or (shudder) family dynamic.

Wear your uni and be proud. One of my courses had Venture folks, Cub folks, BScout folks, and a SeaScout Skipper. Talk about diversity!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally the end of day 1 has come. As you may have read in my post earlier, I am a fox!! We were fortunate enough to be service patrol today. So besides everything else going on today we had to keep the bathrooms clean, shovel the sidewalks, and among other tasks we felt needed to be done cleaned the dining hall after meals. Toss in all the leadership training modules and everything else that's been tossed at us and I'm bushed. It's one of those good types of bushed though. Anyhoo I'm out, we have to be up at 0600 to be sure the sidewalks are shoveled off before reveille Day 2 tomorrow