• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just registered for Wood Badge in the next Council over from me Course C1-286-15. (much closer drive than the one that will be held next summer in my council). Can anyone give me any tips to prep

So, this happened while the site suffered its blow to the head   

Always think about tickets .... but don't worry about it that much. You have a long time for those.   When you are there, participate ... AND keep your eyes open and watch everything. I'd been

Once you are fully registered and closer to the date you will attend you should be contacted by some of the staff with a little more information and a list of questions to answer. They are just to help you start thinking about what makes you tick and what motivates you. Which will help you as you go through the course.

Once you are fully registered and closer to the date you will attend you should be contacted by some of the staff with a little more information and a list of questions to answer. They are just to help you start thinking about what makes you tick and what motivates you. Which will help you as you go through the course.

Ahhhh, Gotcha! thanks

We did not have a committee, I called out people and gave them jobs. BTW where does "Functional" come in?

It was Specific

It was Measurable - We did not at the time have a committee, now we do so it was "measurable"

It was Attainable

Definitely Relevant

Timely - It actually took more more time and energy to obtain a committee than ANY other ticket! CRAZY huh

• Upvote 1
We did not have a committee, I called out people and gave them jobs. BTW where does "Functional" come in?

It was Specific

It was Measurable - We did not at the time have a committee, now we do so it was "measurable"

It was Attainable

Definitely Relevant

Timely - It actually took more more time and energy to obtain a committee than ANY other ticket! CRAZY huh

I guess I was guided by this exchange:

(Daped01)Post

Could a goal be as simple as getting a functional pack committee.

(you)It was one of my tickets.

​If the goal is "cause a pack committee to exist," that is specific and measurable.

It was only the "functional" part that I wondered about, and I thought you were adopting that adjective. I certainly could be mistaken.

"Functional" without more, at least to me, is as specific and measurable as "good."

YMMV

Get used to it. :)

Totally, DC! Daped01, you'll want to go into Wood Badge knowing that you'll have to rewrite your ticket a few times. As I was a Troop Guide this past fall, my patrol gave me the cold stare more than a few times. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Got em in the mail today! I will give them a good look over and some serious thoughts

I went in completely blind, had no heads up, and didn't prepare at all (besides for any kind of weather) and I think that's what made it that much more fun. But I would recommend showing up ready to embrace whatever critter you get (Go Beavers :)) and with a good spirit. You don't want to be the dud that brings your Patrol down. Definitely bring your speaking voice and be ready to play games and get to know a group of people that will forever be your family.

I agree with T2Eagle in the fact that it isn't for everyone but go in with the spirit that you will love every second of it. I went in scared but excited and I came out on top of the world. And I met amazing people along the way and networked with incredible people! So I suppose that would be another tip... Come knowing what you're good at because when you're sitting with your patrol around the fire or with anyone really, you will get talking about Scouts and they'll mention how they need to find an engineer or someone that does photography or something like that. It's a great time to share who you are, help people out and get the love right back.

Have fun! I was just thinking today that Wood Badge (I was in C4-463-12) was the most amazing thing I could have ever done for myself as a person, a Scouter, and a leader.

What to expect? Why take the course at all? Here is the list of "Reasons" we were given after a course: ~~“REASONS WHY I TOOK WOOD BADGE†( or, Why YOU should take Wood Badge)

*I took away a lot of ideas from everyone else, not just the staff.

*It reminds me of how much fun Scouting can be.

*The fellowship.

*It helps to build leadership in my Troop.

*My sense of obligation makes me want to payback to Scouting.

*Self-empowerment. I can do more, because I can.

*To grow spiritually.

*It keeps the Pack trainer off my back.

*It’s my Eagle. To accomplish it as my special project.

*To hear awesome bugling.

*To learn leadership skills.

*A chance to play and camp as an adult.

*Train to make better project planning.

*Gives you the BIG picture of Scouting, not just the day to day stuff.

*Gets you in a Scout Spirit atmosphere.

*Looking for the “AHA†moments. Found’em.

*Make the transition from Cub Scout to Boy Scout more seamless.

*Gain in understanding the “other†Scout.

*I am not alone.

*Seeking ‘Personal Growth’, it’s not just about the boys and girls, but adults too.

*It renews your energy for Scouting.

*Big chance, not just happenstance, to interface with lots of other Scouters.

*“A raven is like a writing deskâ€Â.

*Supreme networking.

*Observing excellent exampling of Scout leading..

*Learning that everyone has their own strengths and talents and weaknesses – that the group can often accomplish more together than anyone singularly.

*To experience the very best in leadership (what they told me before I came!). I think I did.

*I gained tools to look at one’s past to be a better leader in the future.

*You can’t help your Scouts “get it†until you “get itâ€Â, and Wood Badge is where I “got itâ€Â.

*“Rehydrate†for Scouting souls: Water for the physical body, Wood Badge for the “Scouting†body.

*For the Coffee.

*Obtain a deeper understanding of the purpose of Scouting.

*If you choose to do something, if you volunteer to do something, don’t you want the best skills to enable you to do that something the very best way possible? Why do it half way?

*To benefit from them that have “been there and done thatâ€Â.

:Dso, since I first posted this topic right around the time I registered, I went from being excited about basically re-living my experience as a boy scout to being excited about the leadership skills I will learn! We are just over a month out......it can't come fast enough...........