A new 9th Method of Scouting - Technology?

No doubt some technology is undesirable if not outright evil - Powerpoint and Paypal come immediately to my mind. :mad:

When I think back of the heavy gear I carried at Philmont in the 60's and consider what I would still carry today. The list begins with TP and I think it ends there. :D My back likes internal frame packs, tents and sleeping bags are lighter, wicking material and fleece ...even the wool is better, LED flashlights, better batteries, real backpacking stoves not sterno, Boots alone, boy do I wish I had the boots I wear now when I hiked Philmont and no we didn't have Moleskin back then.

First Aid kits - Epi-pens, OTC anitihistamines, SAM split, Quickclot, Kling, ...

Summer camps around here are growing their STEM offerings, one is piloting an ATV course. Kayaks are available. PFD's!!!

Technology is not all computer or electronics, still back then we often carried walkie-talkies as it was Combat cool and aided the program. And I think that is the issue with technology, we often do not utilize it well to aid the program and scouts. I have seen my scouts send photos and upload videos of outings to friends and it is great advertising.

My two bit-coins,

If the Great One had wanted us to have fire without waiting for Loud Fire from the Sky or Flowing Fire from the Earth, She would have made us able to breath fire.

Tradition ist Bewahren des Feuers, nicht Anbeten der Asche
(Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.)

If we learn the art of yielding what must be yielded to the changing present, we can save the best of the past.

So what is the "best" - the "fire" - in Scouting?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

What might BSA do if the Patrol Method were important to BSA?

So what is the "best" - the "fire" - in Scouting?

The Patrol Method practiced in the Outdoors.

Technology can become part of the outdoors and thereby keeping things from becoming too "sedentary". But I hardly think it needs to become a Method unto itself.

The Patrol Method practiced in the Outdoors.

Technology can become part of the outdoors and thereby keeping things from becoming too "sedentary". But I hardly think it needs to become a Method unto itself.

Few here would not agree, and BSA agrees -- in theory.

__________________________________________________ ______

What might BSA do if the Patrol Method were important to BSA?