A new 9th Method of Scouting - Technology?

Just rumors.

There are growing technology issues within the Aims - responsible online behavior, networking with others, mental and emotional fitness. And when you consider STEM programs, Scouts are using tablets, cellphones, and laptops more and more, GPS more compass/map less, and networks at camps....

Even Girl Scouts are now selling cookies online.

Hmmm?

Our Troop does not allow cell phones, games, laptops or other electronics on campouts or at any other Troop function. We just had a Scout transfer to a different Troop because his cell phone was more important than his fellow Scouts. "Loyalty? What is that?" His new Troop has Adults that take their laptops on campouts so they can work and the Scouts can watch movies.

These items isolate Scouts from each other and from their responsibilities in camp. Scouting is an opportunity to "get away" from the constant connectedness for a while.

Technology is a tool. Like any tool, it can be used appropriately - or not. BSA can put all the wi-fi networks in camps they want, we won't be accessing them. Or we'll camp somewhere else.

We've always encouraged techology. Axes, saws, tents, etc. are all technology.

Our troop used to have the rule against electronics. We relaxed that a few years ago. I haven't seen any negative effects from it. In fact, I saw more problems from hidden electronics than out in the open electronics. We need to institute a tech chip, though, just to head off any future problems. I feel sorry for the adults that have to work during campouts. Most of the adult leaders in the troop carry smartphones. Handy to know about the weather if in an area with cell coverage. Also nice to post pictures on facebook during a campout (if with cell coverage). Smart phones are part of life these days.

Sun Tzu Earth Constant: One must understand the terrain of the battle. In this case CyberSpace.

Baden-Powell invented scouting because the men coming to his regiment did not have the basic skills required to be effective in his regiment.

Boy scouting today is to prepare boy to lead in tomorrows world.

If a scout cant use a GPS because his leaders are technophobes what message are you sending? Incorporate them into your programs. Short Wave Radio. Have a scout uploading pics and video of the campout. this is part of a POR. Historian. GPS races.

And once again you are ranting about the demons of technology over the internet.

• Upvote 1

IMHO Technology is neither a method nor aim anymore than is canoeing or basketry or theater. But, we scouters are obliged to help tech-savy boys make ethical choices over their lifetime (which BTW is likely 5 times as long as the orbits of the current flotilla of GPS beacons).

So (for example) sometimes using the aims means learning navigation without electronics (or even magnetics), Sometimes it means learning to use readily available electronic gadgets. (BTW, anybody try navigating to the nearest radio beacon recently?) Sometimes it involves the story of how a tribe of radio enthusiasts appropriated the weapons guidance system and redundant communications protocol of the world's most powerful military for the purposes of the largest game of hide-and-seek known to man. :D

In doing so, we help explain a boy's responsibility as citizens to balance use of tax dollars for social needs against the need for warcraft and innovation.

I'm not that bothered about boy's technophobia (or the opposite). I am concerned about his acquisition of ethics.

A blanket ban on technology contributes to very image of irrelevancy that scouting is trying to overcome.

It's actually pretty cool that the scouts can use smartphones to take nature photos, track their hiking progress on alltrails.com, or research exciting camp destinations and find dutch oven recipes. A GPS is a great tool while on an outing but can't replace the a map and compass because batteries could die.

We allow kids to play appropriate video games for a very limited time at night before lights-out at winter camp and they just love it.

Having a flexible technology policy will encourage more kids to join and stay with scouting.

Scouts are drawn to scouting primarily for outdoor activities...things they can't do at home or in town.

Technology, as others have said, is a tool. A useful one at times. But it is hardly a method. Scouting is too sedentary as it is without adding more passive "activity," sitting around, silent, staring at a screen.

However, there is a touch of irony to this whole tech angle. If National wants to lead the charge for advancing the use of technology, they should start right there at HQ, and upgrade their abysmal website, and antiquated/mind numbing registration and rechartering processes.

• Upvote 1

I don't like blanket bans against technology. That being said, I absolutely hate going to visit somebody, and they spend half of my visit texting somebody else who isn't there.

I think in general that if we help our Scouts design good fun programs and trips they won't see much of a need for cell phones and other electronic game systems. I think we are muddling the issue by comparing GPS or Go Pros to ipods and cell phones. One is a useful tool, one is an entertainment device that used improperly at improper times can prove a distraction to things getting done. I think Scouting can provide a wonderful lesson about what is an appropriate time and place to being using electronics like ipods and cell phones.

That being said I'm perfectly happy to see GPS's. Go Pros and such worry me a bit because I've seen cameras be used to take pictures of inappropriate things, but that's part of the learning curve of life too. (There's a odd story behind that one!)

Sentinel947

How is using a gps or camera camp out sedentary. You confuse all technology with web browsing and playing video games. If you don't LEAD with technology the boy will use it in a inapproiate manner.

St, let me clarify. Sure, that smart phone can help a scout access a recipe or identify a constellation. But usually, be it in scouting or anywhere else, there are a bunch of slack-jawed, glaze-eyed people sitting around, not talking interacting with each other, thumbing away on their smart phones, ear buds shoved halfway in their head. Completely unaware of their environment.

GPS and cameras have their place. But not to the point of declaring technology as a method.

As for scouts using technology in an inappropriate manner, I think instilling the principles of the oath and law covers it.

...the technology in itself int the problem its the choices the kids make thats the problem.

Just like a knife. If the scout does not not use the tool properly it should be removed from the scout.

I think we can all get behind this statement.

On Friday after Thanksgiving, our youngest patrol get together a the church kitchen and prepared food for a local homeless shelter. After they had made sandwiches and the hot dinner was cooking in the Nesco roasters, each Scout retreated to a different area of the meeting room and immediately hopped on their iPhones, Androids, iPads, etc. There was no interaction between Scouts. It was just sad. However, that is the way things are today. Talking to each other in person is becoming a rarity.

St, I can appreciate your comment on complaining about technology on an internet forum. LOL! However, I participate mainly while trapped at my desk, not when I'm away with the Scouts. At Troop meetings and campouts I keep my iPhone stowed except to take pictures. I do realize, though, that there are tracking apps and digital nature guides that can be handier than hard copies.

As a method of Scouting, I think it might be stretching it. But if we stress the responsibility that one must show when utilizing social media, then it certainly falls into the aims of Scouting, namely character building and good citizenship. Scouts see all that vitriol on Facebook and I can see how it's our job to help them see that it is NOT helping anything.

Now, GPS devices are so common in vehicles that ppl are losing the ability to use maps. Heck, just plug in your address and the address of your destination and listen to the British lady tell you where to turn. "In 100 meters turn right." That is completely different than a hand-held GPS that you use in the backcountry. THAT should be taught and geocaching is a good tool for it. We shouldn't let maps and compasses go, though, because--as many have mentioned--batteries have been known to die. :rolleyes:

There are many new merit badges coming out lately that help prepare our Scouts for careers in technology fields. That's good, in my opinion. But it's not a method, necessarily.

St, let me clarify. Sure, that smart phone can help a scout access a recipe or identify a constellation. But usually, be it in scouting or anywhere else, there are a bunch of slack-jawed, glaze-eyed people sitting around, not talking interacting with each other, thumbing away on their smart phones, ear buds shoved halfway in their head. Completely unaware of their environment.

At least with my troop, we haven't observed the above. Mainly the boys use them as cameras, alarm clocks and to listen to at bedtime.