Any opinions on Columbus OH ?

I am from Michigan, and do not know anything about the Columbus area, BSA. However, every 2 - 3 years, we take a trip down, around Columbus, about 65 miles to Hocking Hills State Park, in Logan, OH. It is hard to believe, something like Hocking Hills is in Ohio. Lots and lots of waterfalls, and rocks for the scouts to climb on. Make sure you take a visit, and good luck.

Hey, KDD! Long time now see. Good to have you back.

I think Columbus is in the Simon Kenton Council. I have two Eagle Scout co-workers from the Heart of Ohio Council and they have nothing but goods things to say about Scouting in the area. As with anything, I think Scouting is what you make of it and with your attitude I think you'll be fine anywhere.

Thanks guys, I guess my question is more about the local council and its strength. We all know they are not equal. My current one is big, with big properties and I am also in a very strong district. I know 95 percent of scouting is at the unit level so it shouldn't make a huge difference. If I end up relocating there or somewhere else at least we can get into a good troop. My current one is getting better but has a long way to go. Life's lemons, recharter, crazy kids and a few other research projects have kept me from more than the occasional lurk here. Things should calm down in a few weeks.

You can shop around for troops using beascout.org

As far as the council goes, I'd start by looking at the various districts to get an idea of their strengths and weaknesses, the kind of programs they offer and the extent of their volunteer leadership.

Keep an eye on the council website over a period of months. Check out the kind of activities they have for both youth and adults.

They have some really weird traditions there. I'm told that instead of Blue and Gold banquets they have Red and Gray celebrations.

My troop has spent weekends at a couple of their camps. They seemed to be well run, and I got the impression that at least superficially the Council is competently run.

They have some really weird traditions there. I'm told that instead of Blue and Gold banquets they have Scarlet and Gray celebrations.

My troop has spent weekends at a couple of their camps. They seemed to be well run, and I got the impression that at least superficially the Council is competently run.

FTFY

• Upvote 1