Scoutmaster O/A Sash

I would suggest he bring the sash with him, but only put it on when he wants to talk about O/A, and take it off when he's finished.

That way, he sets the tone for handling business of the Order and kind of gives everyone an understanding that this is something special, not just another piece of "bling" for the uni.

Invite some OA Members from Another troop over... that will peak some interest for sure..

I never really understood why OA Members should not wear a Ceremonial Sash at BSA Ceremonies...after all Only OA MEmbers should be at OA CEREMONIES..we all Know we are members...Only reason is to distinguish Membership levels

The official word:

​ Thank you for your question regarding the proper times for wearing the Order of the Arrow sash. The answers to your question are on pages 57-58 of the Order of the Arrow Handbook (#34996):

“Only currently registered members of the Boy Scouts of America and the Order may wear the insignia of the Order of the Arrow.â€Â

“The Order of the Arrow sash is worn with the official Scout field uniform or Scouting’s official adult professional dress wear (a blue blazer and gray slacks). The sash also may be worn by Elangomats who are not in uniform at an Ordeal, youth wearing ceremonial attire, and in such other instances as approved by the Scout executive.â€Â

“The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be identified as Arrowmen rendering special services.â€Â

Ray Capp

Mr Capp is identified by Scouting [magazine] as the National OA Chairman.

CoH went well. He decided not to wear the sash. all 7 scouts were there, and 6 of the 7 have earned a rank advancement. with the last scout close. As I stated earlier, this is a fairly new troop, with our Scoutmaster taking over late last spring. This was the first CoH for these boys since the "ship has been righted" so to speak. We had cake and lemonade afterwards and all had fun!

• 1 year later...

All,

I keep see people post that Scouts should be able to wear their OA sash at CoH or other big events. 

I think the Merit Badge sash is more important because it show what the scout has accomplished! 

My Son's Merit Badge sash has 43 merit badges on it which is far more then I earned (I think I earned 26 or so.)

It's looks great on him just like it does with a scout with one merit badge on his sash.

The OA sash is nice but the Merit Badge sash is far better for CoH, Eagle dinners, Flag Ceremonies, Etc.

I agree with @@hendrickms24 (welcome to the forums by the way) in that his is a sensible interpretation of policy. If someone asks, that's about what I'd say.

But, I agree with @@SeattlePioneer that an SM who goes and throws his sash on is not hurting anybody's order. Nobody would get bent out of shape.

It's just not nearly as incendiary as wooden beads! :D

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...