Guys I have come to the experts

My son in a Web 1 so I have about a year 1/2 before he moves INTO a Troop (where is still debatable) so when that time comes I know that no one in our troop will probably be going to Northern Tier and my son would need to either find another troop going. Can you tell me how this process works, tips and or suggestions.

I've seen it happen a few ways. Sometimes there is a "Council Contingents" going to a High Adventure Base. I have also seen Troops that have some Scouts who want to go and are trying to fill up a Crew and will announce it at Roundtable or contact Scoutmasters. Northern Tier also has several programs for individual Scouts, including hooking them up with a Crew that has a spot: http://www.ntier.org/About/Summer%20Canoe%20Trips/IndividualPrograms.aspx

There are limits on the # of people on a permit and location in the BWCA. 9 people per permit, cannot travel two groups together, must be significantly separated and cannot share a campsite. With that being said, you can take your boy and 7 others if you wish. I would recommend at least another canoe of 2 for backup (buddy system). So now you are half way to fulfilling your quota for a permit.

In order to cut the cost of the trip, I took along a "guide" (my brother who had gone on a number of BWCA treks to "teach" me how to do it. We took another scouter and his two boys, my boy and self and brother - up to 6 people. Had so much fun we went back the next year and took our daughters along, that made 8 people and that pretty much covered our permit.

I would put in for a permit, get the maps, learn how to backpack out of a canoe, and then rustle up a few friends and you'll have enough people for the permit.

My last experience with BWCA was a 9 day trek that cost less than half of a 6 day summer camp.

Northern Tier has an interpreter accompany your group so that means only 8 participants on a permit.

I think there is a lone-scout kinda thing where small groups or single scouts can go with another group to fill up the permits.

Check out the NT guide book, it's got a ton of info on the program. At a minimum of $650, the NT is twice the cost of summer camp. I prefer the homegrown version at about a quarter the expense. Add in fishing licenses, maps, etc. and it gets pricy.

Stosh

When the time comes, ask your DE to spread the word to other DE's and District CCs in the council that you are looking for a slot. Most crews are created at least a year before the date and losing a crew member is normal. Your question is pretty basic and doesn't take into consideration the minimum reqirements like age and maturity for joining the crew. Barry

Minimum age for a scout is 14 if attending thru the Northern Tier High Adventure base. You got a couple of years if he is a Webelos now. Went in 2010. We had too many for one crew and but were scrambling to find enough to meet the minimum for 2 crews. As mentioned, we announced at Round Table and let council staff know we were interested in taking on more scouts. Northern Tier also has a waiting list kind of thing where you let them know you are willing to take on another scout and they pass on names of people who are singles or doubles that are looking to attend but their troop/council is not.

Cost varies widely depending on your location. We had to fly in the day before, spend the night in a hotel, and then charter a 5 hour bus ride to get to the base. Travel costs were significant for us. Add in a crew T-shirt, boots, crew first aid kit, WFA training class, maps, map cases, fishing licenses and costs were about $2000 per attendee.

One can always get a BWCA permit even after the lottery has taken all the good entry points. The "lottery" runs every winter for the following summer unless they have changed the rules in the past few years. It's been a while, but I think if one doesn't get their name in for the drawings, they might not get the permit they want, but that doesn't mean there aren't other permits going unclaimed.

If I don't get my choices of entry points in the lottery, all I have to do is find an open entry point and take that one. I might not get one close to where I wanted to start, but once in, I can go anywhere I want. I always asked for an entry point that was at least 1 mile from the parking lot. Nobody really wants to start their trip out with a mile portage. But I always got my first choice permit, every year I asked. Once you have your permit, then you can design your trek route.

What one must realize is that Northern Tier only gets a limited amount of BWCA permits and then re-lotteries those out to Troops. If one wants to really go to BWCA, get your own BWCA permit, your odds of getting in are much better. Then find a scouter who has had BWCA experience and invite him/her along to work as your interpreter. I know a ton of guys in my council that would take you up on that. Heck, with a freebie week in BWCA, I'd sign on as guide. :)

Stosh

Our last troop put on our own BWCA trip last summer. 50 Scouts/adults broke in to 7 different crews. The adults & older Scouts got WFA trained, everyone went thru the Canoe merit badge course and we chartered a bus (we're in Texas). Came out to $725/person thru an outfitter in Ely, MN. Everything was included except personal clothes/cameras/fishing gear. It was an awesome time.

I am looking ahead obviously since they are starting 2016 Lottery NOW in 2014

Jason, I think Stosh and Ken are on the right track here. My Troop, too, typically organizes our own BWCA trips rather than go with Northern Tier. Sure, you don't get the cool patch but you still get a killer experience in the Boundary Waters! It's cheaper to do it on your own and probably just as fun. Many Troops in MN and WI organize their own trips to BWCA, actually. Not really sure but I would guess that FL Troops probably don't go to Sea Base as much as Troops from other regions of the US. You and your son might be able to hook onto a contingent from "up Nort". ;)

Our last troop put on our own BWCA trip last summer. 50 Scouts/adults broke in to 7 different crews. The adults & older Scouts got WFA trained' date=' everyone went thru the Canoe merit badge course and we chartered a bus (we're in Texas). Came out to $725/person thru an outfitter in Ely, MN. Everything was included except personal clothes/cameras/fishing gear. It was an awesome time.[/quote']

We did the same thing in 2012. Ours came in at $500/person but we were only traveling from the Midwest. Sure was nice to be able to drop all that gear at the end of the trip and walk away :). Not to mention not having to haul it all up there first.

While it was a few years back, we didn't go with an outfitter, but listened to an experienced guide on how to pack, took 2 troops one from WI, one from IL. 2 permits and the whole thing came to less than $150/boy. Hauled our own canoes, did our own food, etc. We figured it would be about 3 times as much going with an outfitter.

Stosh