When DLs do not agree on recognition philosophy

So I'm in my first year with a new pack as their Cubmaster (was CM for another pack for a couple years but my son switched schools and hence packs). I've encouraged all the DLs to use segments to awards the boys for things they do at their meetings.

For example, my the Bear Den just did the opening/closing flag ceremonies for the city council meeting where our pack is located.I mentioned to the DL (as my son is a Bear) that he should contact that advancement chair (who just quit on me today, no idea why) and have the boys given the American Flag segment. It never occurred to him to reward the boys for both learning the proper flag ceremony and performing it for an official civic meeting.

Our Tiger DL is gung-ho about segments and has her boys earning two or more a month. No other DL seems to give half a poop about recognizing what the boys are doing. Without taking over and micro-managing each den's activities so I can decide what segments to award to boys based on their work... how can I get the DLs to all agree that segments are good to give out and should be used liberally?

This is an example of how there are many different pack/den approaches out there. I'm with you, but unfortunately many leaders are very black and white and don't like the idea of "double credit." Minimally I suggest you allow the Tiger Leader to recognize his kids and hope it creates some peer pressure on the other DLs.

Segments are small curved patches. Here is an example from Ideal Emblem Co. - 21_footprint.jpg

Some councils use them, and some do not. If your council does not sell them you can order them online from a number of patch suppliers.

They are a cheap, fun, way to recognize participation. We would give them out for whatever activity the Scouts participated in. Things like monthly Pack meetings, Pinewood Derby, Pack campout, service projects, Pack activities, etc. The boys would sew them on the back of their red "brag vest" in circles around the council patch. Webelos crossing to Boy Scouts often had the back of their vest covered in lots of circles of patches. It made for a nice memento of their Cub years!

We handed out segment lists to our den leaders so they knew what was available. They then included segments needed in their monthly list of awards to the Award Chair. The segment participation patches were given out at every Pack meeting along with any other awards earned that month.

Honestly the boys don't need recognized for every single thing they do.

If you want to recognize them for the flag ceremony at the city council. Show the video at the pack meeting. They will love that more than a silly little patch that will never get sewn on anything.

To me it is just another added expense and extra work tracking.

I'm kinda with Basement on this one. There are opportunities for patches and then ... maybe not. Rank requirements certainly do not need another , in between award. There are the infamous beads, that dangle below the infamous plastic thingy, use those for (shudder) "immediate recognition". I would mark a special event or service with the appropriate patch, and if you go to the Scoutshop, you can find a patch to commemorate almost any activity, I am certain there is a "flag" patch for remembering the City Council ceremony.

And, yes, they do get sewn onto vests and unis, and yes, they do bring back memories when seen after a few (even young) years.

<>

In general, I encourage volunteer leaders to do things they WANT to do or things they are GOOD AT DOING.

Speaking as someone who's been leading Tiger Cub Dens for eight years now, I like the den leader's practice. And if HE likes doing it, that's another very good reason for doing it.

Do the boys actually get all these segments on their uniforms? If so, that's another good reason for doing it. If they mostly just throw them away, that would be an argument against doing it.

I might start doing some of that in my Tiger Den, which meets tonight. The pack has hundreds of leftover segments --- this would be a fgood way to use some of them. I doubt if many would actually land on uniforms, though.

We are doing "Cub Scout Bowling" tonight, using soda pop aluminum cans for pins. Boys on each of two teams take tunrs rolling a ball at the other teams pins, with those knocking down the most in a round getting a sticker on their scoresheet. The boy getting the most stickers on the scoresheet for each team gets to keep the scoresheet for theuir team and include it in their Cub Scout scrapbook.

Immediate Recognition is part of the Scout Program! Our Council has a segment program and when I was the Tiger DL and then Cubmaster I used it as much as I could. Since I traveled a lot, I visited many other Councils. In the Boise, ID Council I found a nice segment of a hiker. I used that for those who came on the Cubmaster Hikes that I put on for about 6-7 months during the year. This was outside of any other event or activity that a Den or Pack would do. I generally would tell the Scouts/parents what we would cover so they could mark it off their requirements. Once the hike was completed, I would hand out the Segment.

Now, if the Den Leaders are properly trained, they would know that other Instant Recognition (beads) would be used when completing a requirement for Rank. Sounds like people are not properly Trained.

As a former Web DL, I would not bother with the segments. Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare trying to keep up with who did what to get which patch.

For the boys needing self-esteem, it might be a good thing. For the boys needing self-respect, they don't need it. I'm a self-respect kinda guy when I deal with my boys.

Stosh

... advancement chair (who just quit on me today' date=' no idea why) ...[/quote']

Maybe she quit because tracking all of these awards was driving her batty!

I think you should get to know your DL's and give them free reign. What excites tigers may not excite bears. And even among same-aged boys some find awards are more exciting than do others. For some boys, being up in front of the pack while the den leader says, "We lead flag ceremony and these boys were AWESOME!" is the best recognition they will ever get. Obviously you're allowed to voice your opinion, but you also need to ensure your people that you want to know if we've hit the "too much bling" mark. It's more important that the boys feel recognized. Especially with the older boys, DL's should ask them how they would like recognition to be delivered.

It's perfectly fine if each den does it a little differently, as long as they are doing it!