Skymont, Tennessee

When I was a youth our Troop used to offer two summer camp options each year: Woodruff Scout Reservation in Blairsville, GA and Skymont Scout Reservation, Altamont, TN. My current Troop traveled down to Woodruff this summer from Wisconsin--definitely the greatest distance traveled of any other Troop there--and had a blast. I heard some not-so-flattering comments about Skymont from some of the adults volunteers I met this summer at Woodruff.

As a Scout I remember Skymont as a nice place but that was 23 years ago so a lot could have changed. Does anyone have some recent experience with Skymont?

If you have any specific details regarding this camp they would be much appreciated.

No, but I have heard good things from fellow Scouters. A lot of folks from my council tend to head up to Tesomas if they don't go to Ed Bryant Scout Reservation--in council summer camp. Another one I've heard is good around here is Bear Paw Scout Camp.

It's difficult to be diplomatic here so I won't be. This is just my experience. The director is fairly rude and ineffective toward the boys and really rude to visiting parents, our troop almost lost a leader after several failures of safety measures and an anaphylactic reaction. The activities are poorly run, and disorganized,merit badges are haphazardly marked off whether the boys legitimately did the work or not. The food is about what you would expect from a summer camp, edible as long as you are hungry, not great. But the main complaint I have with Skymont is that the staff is irresponsible, and poorly managed and trained in several cases. Bar none, the best scout camp we have been to has been Tomahawk in MN, that was 10 years ago now. We have also done Boxwell, BuckToms, Comer and Philmont (which was also wonderful)

Great info, O'Scouter. Thanks. I've heard some of those same things, too.

I've heard good things about Tomahawk, though, as you mentioned above. Tesomas in WI is high on the list of recommendations. I'd like to give my Scouts an idea of what is around the area and some that are a little bit of a "hike" so to speak.

No' date=' but I have heard good things from fellow Scouters. A lot of folks from my council tend to head up to Tesomas if they don't go to Ed Bryant Scout Reservation--in council summer camp. Another one I've heard is good around here is Bear Paw Scout Camp. [/quote']

Ed Bryant and Freeland Leslie are less than a 30 miles apart. Freeland Leslie specializes in patrol method summer camp (NO MESS HALL, all in-site cooking!) and has a good staff that I've never had a complaint about. Depending on the direction you are traveling to Ed Bryant, you might very well be driving by Freeland Leslie. :) Fantastic waterfront, second clearest lake in the state of Wisconsin. By the way, they own the whole lake too.

Stosh

Woodruff is an excellent camp for a few reasons:

1. It's in the North Georgia mountains and is quite lovely.

2. The staff members are all well-trained and friendly.

3. There's plenty to do on the waterfront in camp. An off-site adventure (horseback riding or whitewater rafting) is included in the basic fees.

4. The campsites are nice and wooded.

If you like patrol cooking and having a little more autonomy for your Scouts it might not be the best choice. However, my guys were able to enjoy themselves and strengthen their patrols on the road down, in the rafts, and in camp. The food is what you'd expect from a dining hall. A lot of the programming is geared towards the younger set but they do provide a few off-site high adventure options for the older Scouts--this is week-long. I had three Scouts do this latter option and they loved it.