Looking for a backpacking destination within 1/2 day drive of central WI

As the title says...something that would constitute a multi-day backpacking trip...4 or 5 days of actual hiking.

We've backpacked in the Sylvania Wilderness, Porcupine Mountains, and Pictured Rocks national lakeshore.

The idea of Isle Royale has been tossed about.

Looking for any other suggestions to toss out to the boys to chew over, that they/we might not have thought of.

Devil's Lake near Wisconsin Dells is a great place for a few days of camping and hiking. On top of hiking I think they do horseback trails, rock climbing / rappelling, and some other activities. The troop my pack is connected to goes there once a year.

One of my favorite get-away spots is Black River State Forest. Late at night you hear the wolves howling!

There's a lot of open land where you can go backpacking/day hiking/minimalist camping. Only once was I ever disappointed there...some jerk was blasting Bon Jovi from his pick-up truck. Once he got drunk enough, though, he turned it off and passed out. Then all the wildlife picked up where he left off and began their night time symphony.

Check into it here:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/blackRiver/

As for Devil's Lake, it's pretty but very heavily used. I think I heard they get more traffic there per year than Joshua Tree National Park!

As for Devil's Lake' date=' it's pretty but very heavily used. I think I heard they get more traffic there per year than Joshua Tree National Park![/quote']

This is true. Devil's Lake is very heavily used. Being so close to the Dells it gets a lot of tourist traffic that would rather camp than pay for hotels while visiting the area.

It has been a few years, but I have backpacked at Sylvania, the Porkies, Picture Rock, and Isle Royale. Because of the 'bugs', the later in the summer you go, the better. Isle Royale is most crowded the last two weeks of July, and the 1st week of August (after that, everyone has to get back to school; and then, it is not so bad.) I do not care for the boat ride over (15' waves the last time I did it, 1999). Everyone was sea sick!

If you are willing to drive about 3 hours past Picture Rock, and wait through Customs, I would highly recommend the Coastal Trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park, about 2 hrs. north of Sault Ste. Marie. It is the hardest trail I have every backpacked. The views along Lake Superior are great, and it will not be crowded. Lots and lots of bolder beaches; you have to watch where you step on the rocks. A good change to see a moose or a bear; and you can swim in the lake every evening (a very quick swim).

Over Labor Day weekend, in 2011, I had two patrols on the coastal trail (I was on a easier trail, with some new scouts). One patrol started from the south, and one from the north. They did not see anyone else on the trail, except when they passed each other! The scouts loved it, the adults, not so much (blisters and not being in shape). All wish they had an extra day to slow down and enjoy the trail. They did 15 miles in 2 1/2 days; but it felt like 30 miles! When I did this trail before, we took 4 days to do the same, 15 miles. One scout had been to Philmont that summer. He said the trail was tougher than the trails at Philmont.

The entire trail is probably 40 miles. Some other parts of it are not as challenging, and you can hear the traffic from Hwy. 17, which I do not like. If the rocks get wet from rain, dew, or fog, the trail can become very slippery. The scouts did the part from Orphan Lake to Gargantua Harbor.

http://lakesuperiorpark.ca/index.php/activities/32-hiking-the-coastal-trail

Having looked at it a bit, I kind of liking the Superior Hiking Trail. It doesn't have the fees and difficulty of access of Isle Royale, and the group size is more flexible.

The boys are supposed to be leading the planning charge but it's always good to have a few ideas to give them to start with. They chose Pictured Rocks last year and loved it, and Superior seems like it would be a similar experience but unique in its own way.

We'll see what they decide!

Any more ideas keep them coming.

Our troop did a backpacking weekend at Kettle Moraine State Park (South) a few years ago and were very happy with the venue.

Yes, Kettle Moraine South is a nice place to do a 10-mile+ hike and there is a camping area. What is cool about the Ice Age Trail is that it incorporates civilization with the wild places. I bet you could start in the Southern unit and hike to the Northern unit over a period of a few days and learn quite a bit about WI along the way.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/pdfs/kmsforestmap.pdf

Check it out! Good idea, Eagle90.