Jeans as a uniforming option?

I'm guessing those were nylon "back packing" pants....

regardless..... makes me think of the many times as a kid playing for hours out in the snow in jeans, sometimes without even long johns under.....

They'd be stiff like that, except at the knees.

Would have to lay on the floor and let mom pull them off our purple legs, and stand the in the corner like a mannequin to thaw.....

Who camps without fires to get warm and dry out clothing anyways?

Up here in the north-country, one does not build fires, and we do whatever it takes to keep clothing dry to being with. And NO, we do not wear jeans year around. The reason for the no-fire rule is that when the boys stand around the fire, they heat up one side of their body and leave the other side cold. The regulatory adjustments the body makes doesn't know then whether to cool down or heat up. Stay away from the fire and the body knows to kick into keeping warm mode. I deer hunt in some rather brutal weather over the years and never needed a fire. Got cold from standing in one spot, start walking, you'll warm up.

I was out building fencing last weekend, the weather turned nasty rather quickly and I was out there with double wool socks, long wool underwear, wool pants/shirt and heavy wool (same one knit for Alaskan fishermen), wool stocking camp and wool felted liners in my leather choppers. Stayed warn all day long. :) (No, it was not cold enough wearing all that to need a winter coat.) Temps were in the teens. Coat comes out once it hits single digits.

Texas might get a wee bit of winter type weather, but one doesn't know what winter is until they spend a few of them in North Dakota. I thought I knew what winter was growing up in Wisconsin, but ND winter is just plain scary.

Stosh

A fellow Scouter friend of mine tells a story about a winter camping trip he took with his Troop many years ago. There was one Scout who showed up in jeans and a flannel shirt. My Scouter buddy had recommended no cotton since they would be sweating beneath the layers and getting snow on their clothing at the same time. So he asks the Scout, "is that shirt made of cotton?" The Scout replied, "No, it's flannel." Well, it was most certainly cotton and that young man learned rather quickly that he should have taken his Scoutmaster's advice and invested in some wool.

JP, you can wear jeans if you want to. ;) I'm not gonna.

Sometimes doing something because it's right is more important than doing it because it is or isn't required. Just because one has CPR certification doesn't mean one ever has to do CPR on a person needing it.

Stosh