Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow ... what I day I just had.   Today, as it happens, is my birthday. I woke up in the morning, and found banners and balloons all over my front yard, which was a total surprise. Then this afternoo

Here it is! I couldn't wait to throw on the full uniform, so here is the hat at least. It's a perfect fit too; I am so excited to wear this to the next pack meeting!  

I'd wear a campaign hat, but I'm too thrifty (read, cheap) to purchase one. 

Posted Images

That is sure one option - now.  We went through decades of cotton-poly that ripped at the thought of a bramble.  It was barely adequate for ladies blouses.

If an Expedition Hat floats your boat for wear in the outdoor program, that is up you you.

That is sure one option - now.  We went through decades of cotton-poly that ripped at the thought of a bramble.  It was barely adequate for ladies blouses.

If an Expedition Hat floats your boat for wear in the outdoor program, that is up you you.

My uniform with a 1993 Scoutfest patch on it is a bit stained, but otherwise is in good shape. I've always done the 100% cotton shirts except for the dress wool shirt I have with my UC patch on it.  The only problem I have is the pockets in the pants, they never hold up with the keys, knife, junk I carry in them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been with Scouts for 11 years, just finished Woodbadge got my Beads and said to myself, it's time. I guess once that commitment is made and completed you have the connection your looking for to know what it means to ware the Campain Hat.

Only problem is now I can't find the hat press / holder anyplace ... anyhow. It was a crisp $100 bill well worth it :)

Plus I now have something to hand down to my son.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Follow up question to the Campaign hat thread - anyone know why National Supply decided to stop selling replacement hatbands and straps for these hats? I have a few of them, and would like to spruce them up and award them to deserving scouts. As I understand it, though, sometime in 2014 BSA stopped selling them.

My guess is that they felt they were undercutting sales of the $99 hats; that may be, but seeing as the hat itself can be pretty durable, it seems that the intent is for me to toss my perfectly serviceable hat, just because I cannot replace the band. 

Well, actually I can - one scouter buddy had someone on etsy make one for him, so there's a workaround. Would rather pay BSA for it, though, to help the program.

Thoughts, anyone?

I have thought of this very problem actually; I know that my hatband enjoys flying off the hat when I am running around with the Den and I am considering sewing or gluing it in place so that I don't lose it. I was wondering if they sold spares through supply; sadly now I know.  :(

I will say that if you add the first-class emblem to the front (the large golden pin still sold in Scout Stores), then even without the hatband it keeps the hat from looking boring at least. I personally use the round universal emblem pin; I like it a lot. I will say this for sure - those are DARN LUCKY SCOUTS who receive campaign hats as gifts!

I don't know why they quit, but I am going to take a guess. Folks were buying the replacement parts and putting them on USGI surplus hats. While I do not have the BSA hatbands, I do have the BSA chinstraps on my two smokeys. And before anyone cries "foul," both smokeys were issued to me by my council. One issued upon completing Brownsea 22, the second upon staffing  JLTC.