Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow ... what I day I just had.   Today, as it happens, is my birthday. I woke up in the morning, and found banners and balloons all over my front yard, which was a total surprise. Then this afternoo

Here it is! I couldn't wait to throw on the full uniform, so here is the hat at least. It's a perfect fit too; I am so excited to wear this to the next pack meeting!  

I'd wear a campaign hat, but I'm too thrifty (read, cheap) to purchase one. 

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

So, I have a question.  I want to wear a campaign hat while in uniform.  But sitting here in Phoenix, at 6:30AM, it's already 90 degrees outside.  The week after our summer camp last June, we had evening lows of 102! 

I'm thinking about buying a straw campaign hat like this LEO uniform hat.  It should be cooler than the felt, but it would be obvious that it's not official. 

Thoughts? 

First thought:  that hat rocks, go for it.

Second thought:  The "Uniform Inspection Sheet" says the troop should be uniform in their choice of headgear--it doesn't say official.  So if your troop wanted to adopt that hat, go for it.  Plenty of troops use custom printed caps and such instead of the "official" BSA caps, so using a different hat is fine.

My son wanted some publicity photos for his Webelos Mountain event.  He is running the event with his OA chapter.  The idea is for Webelos and Patrols from the district to camp together and do scout skills.

This isn't the best of photos of the bunch, but one that I was small enough to attach!

J

post-44346-0-70447300-1472869533_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

First thought:  that hat rocks, go for it.

Second thought:  The "Uniform Inspection Sheet" says the troop should be uniform in their choice of headgear--it doesn't say official.  So if your troop wanted to adopt that hat, go for it.  Plenty of troops use custom printed caps and such instead of the "official" BSA caps, so using a different hat is fine.

Unfortunately if it is not BSA official, it needs to be removed for flags, etc.  The choices are garrison hats, baseball, beret, expedition and campaign.  Those are the only official BSA hats.  When not in uniform, they can wear any hat they want.

Current uniform rules of B.S.A. for Scouts: "All troop members must wear the headgear chosen by vote of the troop/team."

Current uniform rules of B.S.A. for adults: "Headgear. Headgear is optional. Boy Scout leaders wear the olive visor cap, campaign hat, or troop-approved headgear."

I guess that pretty much makes the official expedition hat obsolete unless the troop decides to do it as a whole.  I've worn the expedition hat for 35+ years and I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.