Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

As a scout, it was the red baret, until our troop pitched in an ordered ball caps with our #s on it. Until then, or SM never wore a hat. In Western PA, don't recall seeing many campaign hats in the '70's and '80s.

In high school I picked up a wide-brim felt hat from a truck stop in TN, for its two features. One: its look was more mountaineer than cowboy (living in Steeler country, that was an important distinction). Two: at size 13, it fit perfectly, which was a rare find among headgear. I did not wear that so much for scouting as I did for show (square dances, in particular), but later realized it did a purty good job deflecting the rain off my back -- so from college and beyond it became my go-to headgear for hikes in the woods.

The kids found it to be irresistible, and it didn't survive them! So, when they finally grew out of stealing dad's clothes for "dress up", I started looking, and for $35 found me a wide-brimmed leather hat not far off from Headgehog's description. It has a nice braided band for sticking feathers in, and endures my kind of scouting. So, it gets worn with my field uniform.

I think a campaign hat would have been in shreds 2-3 times over by now. But truth be told, I've never hiked with a scouter who would wear one through our laurel thickets to know for sure. ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow ... what I day I just had.   Today, as it happens, is my birthday. I woke up in the morning, and found banners and balloons all over my front yard, which was a total surprise. Then this afternoo

Here it is! I couldn't wait to throw on the full uniform, so here is the hat at least. It's a perfect fit too; I am so excited to wear this to the next pack meeting!  

I'd wear a campaign hat, but I'm too thrifty (read, cheap) to purchase one. 

Posted Images

I would but it's like $100 bucks yikes!!!

I'm with you.... I actually would like to have one as a novelty item.... Might get a few laughs for a pack meeting with it.

I have an old outback style felt hat but never wear it. Too easy to mess it up.....

Tilley hat for me if outside for extended periods....otherwise no hat.

I'm with you.... I actually would like to have one as a novelty item.... Might get a few laughs for a pack meeting with it. I have an old outback style felt hat but never wear it. Too easy to mess it up..... Tilley hat for me if outside for extended periods....otherwise no hat.
Laughs? :-(

I picked up a vintage (maybe 40s?) BSA campaign hat at an estate sale for about $20. It's a size 7, so not even close to fitting me. It hangs on the hat rack in the living room with my wife's grandfathers straw boater from the 20's. @Quasze: size 13??? Really??? I'm impressed!

Over the years I have found a number of real ones at flea markets for under $20. While obviously worn, they were presentable. Found a brand new one in an antique store years ago, still in its shipping box from National supply, for $25. That is the one I use most of the time, though only for formal stuff or assemblies at scout camp. Otherwise, mostly a now beatup floppy brim from an outdoor vendor with a 60's version SM patch attached to the front. The last campaign hat I bought was last February, in a press, for under $30 at, of all places, our annual memorabilia live auction. Small council with sparse attendance, so many things go for good prices.

qwazse !! Size 13 ? ! 0___0

Size 8 is a 25" circumference head. Size 13 would be about a 45" head. No wonder you have room for so many ideas. What's your shoe size?

My oldest Smokey hat still has the price tag -- $7.95. It was a gift. Faded from wear in California. Not much use here in Ohio. When it isn't raining or ear-freezing weather, it's usually too hot for a wool hat with two tiny vents, Not to mention all the "fun" time indoors.

Guys, I'm no expert on hillbilly hat sizing from 35 years ago. But, yes, my head is larger than most. Size 8 is snug on me but it's usually because my head is not as oval as most hat holes! It takes years of trying on lots of models to find one to suit.

I have a campaign hat that I purchased when I came back into scouting as an adult volunteer 20 years ago. Keeps the sun off my bald head, plus my neck, ears, face, and nose. My son requested one for himself when he completed his Eagle rank.

• Upvote 1

I wear ball caps most everywhere. I have a campaign hat I wore frequently in cubs, but not so much with the troop. I have in mind it is for formal occasions, and don't wear it out in the weather. I've got a couple Tilley's (one original and one of the new light-weight hats) I wear on outings when I need a real hat.

• 4 months later...

I never owned a hat from the Boy Scout National Supply until I went to Wood Badge where we had to wear them.

I always have baseball cap type hats from various camps or troops or events I've been part of. I wear them to keep the sun off my nose and out of my eyes If I'm going to be outdoors.

If we're getting really rough, backpacking or canoeing or other activities likely to mess up whatever you bring, I have a very old, disreputable looking troop cap left over from the eighties (formerly red, now faded pink). It has a lot of miles on it.

If I'm going to be mostly indoors, I don't even bring a hat.

I go back and forth with the expdition hat and the campaign hat.  Just depends on my mood for the day.  Both have wide brims all the way around.  Protect nose, eyes, ears and neck.  The expedition hat has more history.  Branded Philmont Y2K and 100th Centennial Jamboree.

Stosh

Edited by jblake47

I have a modified hat. Not campaign style, not Indian Jones. Have an Akubra hat like this one. Been through rain, snow, fog, high mountains, river valleys, the heat of Egypt and a Temple of Doom. Works great. Had it 10 years.

post-23094-0-43319200-1428845954_thumb.jpg