Elkhorn High Adventure Base

Yep, it's in my backyard. It's one reason we don't feel Philmont is such a big deal. They don't have as many activities as Philmont but it's much less crowded, as in you rarely see other people. Also a lot cheaper. You get to climb on real rocks as opposed to climbing walls, and rappelling off of Weaver's Thumb (a full pitch) is great stuff. There are different hikes you can choose from. The easiest is 35 miles and you stay on the ranch. The hardest is 50+ miles, pretty much above 11,000 feet the whole week and you go into the local National Forest. I know they have 7 day treks and I think they still have the 10 day treks. They use the same Philmont food (not a plus in my mind). Beautiful country. It's been a few years since I did one as there are plenty of other hikes nearby. They just closed the camp down for the planned activities and now it's all troops doing weekends until Spring. Give them a call if you need info.

• Upvote 1
Yep' date=' it's in my backyard. It's one reason we don't feel Philmont is such a big deal. They don't have as many activities as Philmont but it's much less crowded, as in you rarely see other people. Also a lot cheaper. You get to climb on real rocks as opposed to climbing walls, and rappelling off of Weaver's Thumb (a full pitch) is great stuff. There are different hikes you can choose from. The easiest is 35 miles and you stay on the ranch. The hardest is 50+ miles, pretty much above 11,000 feet the whole week and you go into the local National Forest. I know they have 7 day treks and I think they still have the 10 day treks. They use the same Philmont food (not a plus in my mind). Beautiful country. It's been a few years since I did one as there are plenty of other hikes nearby. They just closed the camp down for the planned activities and now it's all troops doing weekends until Spring. Give them a call if you need info.[/quote']

Thanks Matt.

I contacted the director of the council who responded. Was trying to get GPS data for any of the treks. My guys like to see stuff on Google Earth and plan accordingly. They don't have anything like that so we may be the first to document our treks.

Been through the Leader's Guide for 2014 and saw a bunch of great stuff. We don't live at altitude so we may have to take the lighter, shorter trek just to be safe. Never want to underestimate altitude...especially for the Scouters. ;) I frequently have to remind THEM they are not 18 anymore. My Scouts I am less worried about...they know better. ;)

I don't think I can get you gps coordinates for treks but I can get you the coordinates for the boundary trail. That's 12 miles around the edge of the camp. There's a map the council puts out that has all the trails through the camp and I took that and google earth and found a bunch of points. I might be able to find you a map. I might even have one in a closet but that would require digging. Another thing to think about is driving over to the canyon to the South to go white water rafting one day on the Poudre river. The council doesn't run it but they can help you find a rafting company. There's a 4x4 road that goes from right by camp to the Poudre Canyon, or you can drive all the way around and save your shocks.

• Upvote 1