Unhappy with troop leadership

I've noticed that our scouts bond the most while camping outdoors. The fact that your son doesn't want to attend monthly campouts or week-long summer camps means he is missing out on a major experience in Scouting.

What is your son's goals and motivation for being in scouts? Does he only want to be with his two friends? Why does he want to achieve Eagle? Does HE want to achieve Eagle or is it because his parents or college guidance counselor want him to? These are important questions to ask your son.

Of course we are only getting 50% of the viewpoint so hopefully I can provide insight to the otherside.

As SM, I had a boy who joined scouts only to be with two of his friends. He didn't want to work on any merit badges, learn skills or attend any troop meetings. The few troop meetings he attended he was very disruptive and disrespectful to the SPL and only wanted to yuk it up with his buddies.

​And when he went on our camp outs, he didn't have any skills, didn't know what to do and would argue with the PL whenever he was asked to get water or do KP. Basically the boy was a distraction to what the other scouts were trying to achieve. I had a heart-to-heart with the parents and explained that they needed to get engaged with the Scouting program or find something else to do or another troop. They decided scouts wasn't for them after all and everyone is now much happier.

I know some troops that only have 2-4 car camps per year and don't do any backpacking at all. Most of their outings are field trips to museums or ships, air shows, model rocket events, etc. I'm lucky to live in an area where there are a variety of troop types to suit just about anyone's interests.

Boyhood is too short. Assist your son in finding a friendly, loyal, courteous, kind troop that fits his interests. One where the youth and adults want to connect with him. If he likes the guys he probably will enjoy the campouts (at least the fair weather ones...)

Been there, done that, got the t shirt...

I agree "boy hood is short" But I must point out that the rank of Eagle should not be the only measure of a Scouts success in the program. Many a Scout (96%?) doesn't make Eagle, but they still learn some skills, some leadership, some friendship, etc. and in later years count it as one of the highlights of their youth.

I have known a lot of scouts who would rather not spend a weekend in the woods, but they endure it just to be with their friends, who love it.

But as others have rightly pointed out, scouting is largely about the outdoors. Thats where we go to let the scouts learn to do things for themselves.

Two of my sons aged 15 and 17 changed troops, when the new dictatorial SM told them' my way or the highway' so I do understand how hard it can be to leave good friends behind. As dads we want the world to be fair and wonderful for our sons. Sadly it just aint always so. and all we can say is 'Life is a series of choices, time to make one"

Oldscout