Venturing-Specific Training

Now that the revisions to Venturing have been fully digested by my council's trainers, we'll be having the Venturing Advisor and Venturing Committee training next month. Having not yet experienced Venturing as an advisor, I'm looking forward to the training. Our chartering org has just given me the go-ahead nod to start a co-ed Venturing Crew and we've got lots of happy sisters! My Troop's Scouts have had to leave their sisters at home for the past few years while the boys went off to Boundary Waters, Sea Base, Philmont, etc. Now we're hoping to open that adventure up to many, many more youth in our community.

Have any of you seasoned Venturing folks received the most recent training? What are your biggest concerns? What are you most looking forward to?

:) I've gone over the syllabus, but missed an opportunity to work through it in a class. Not much has changed. New advancement scheme, but most of us think that's of neutral value. The best part of training is getting to know your fellow leaders. The'll be essential resources as you go forward.
  • Upvote 1

So, qwase, in your experience do most Venturers join for the action and leave advancement behind them, then? I have the Ranger handbook that looks really good. Will that award be going away, to your knowledge?

I do think a big part of training is getting to know your fellow volunteers. It's great for "networking", as they say.

I ran a crew for about 12 years, the boys didn't do any of the advancement/award stuff, didn't participate in any council/district activities and pretty much kept to themselves. I don't know who, if any of the venturing leaders in the council.

The council asked me to start a crew, I did, ran it for 12 years and retired and went back full time with starting a new troop. I assume the crew is still operational, it's in a different district so I don't know much about it anymore.

Stosh

First, advancement is not a method of venturing. Awards and recognition is. ;) The specialty awards, Ranger, Quest, and Trust are still available. None of my youth are at all interested in these or any other awards. They just want the occasional activity that stretches and challenges them, and they want unique social opportunities. Other advisors, however, tell me they can't keep their kids away from awards. Every crew's different.

• Upvote 1
Whoops! Guess I need to take that training' date=' huh? :o[/quote']

Always helps. By the way, if you have a couple of older youth sometimes it's a good idea to invite a mature scout to take the training with you.

Running a crew is completely different than a troop. When you take the training, pay particular attention to the aims and methods. Uniforming and advancement are not part of a crew's methods, but they are fall-backs for long-time scouters.

I think of it this way...

Cub Scouts: based on particpating in activities

Boy Scouts: based on leading the patrols during activities

Crews: based on envisioning, resourcing, planning and executing activities

A bit simplistic...but...