Balloon Pop Game

I need a little bit of fun for my next pack meeting. Thinking of running some sort of balloon pop game.

~~Any other suggestions for something easy but fun. I just need to fill 10-15 minutes with some action

something such as this one:

~~BALLOON BOTTOM POP

You will need enough balloons already blown up and some kind of cushions or padding to ensure that no injuries occur.

The group is divided into teams and lined up at one end of the course with whatever is to be used for padding in front of them - the balloons are placed at the other end of the course in some kind of container - netting or paddling pools will work fine. At the start signal the first person from each team runs up the course and collects a balloon. They run back to their teams and burst the balloon by sitting on it using the padded area. When the balloon bursts then the next member of the team can run up the course to collect their balloon and so on. The winning team can be the one where all its members have popped one balloon each - or the game can be run for two balloon pops for each person.

If it is not possible to split the party into equal teams then the game can be played for a fixed amount of time - say one minute, and the number of balloons popped by each team counted to find the winning team.

Variations can include almost any balloon game that is run over a course - Balloon Waddle - Balloon Hop etc - see the RACING GAMES section for ideas to include at the time everyone is running back to their team with the balloon.

What are your thoughts?

Ever done it?..... any pit-falls?

Popping balloons has never gone over very well at our Pack meetings. We have lots of small siblings that participate in the games. We like balloon games with no popping (on purpose).

Balloon Football

Equipment: A supply of balloons

Formation: Teams

The Cubs form two teams and sit on the floor facing each other, their legs stretched out so that their feet

almost touch those of the boy opposite. Two Cubs are chosen as goalkeepers and stand one behind each team.

The leader throws a balloon into play and each team endeavors to pat the balloon over the heads of the

opposing team. A goal is scored when the balloon touches the ground on the opponent's side. After a while the

leader throws in a second balloon and then a third and the game becomes increasingly difficult. The team with

the most goals is the winner.

There is also one we play. Can’t remember the game.

Divide scouts into 4 teams. Each team has a different color balloon. 1 balloon per scout.

Scouts put 1 hand behind their back.

There are 4 plastic boxes at the end of room.

Objective is the get your balloon into your goal. With only one hand scouts need to work together as a team.

After the set amount of time count the balloons in the goal. Team with the most wins.

Love it.

Another one is card turnover. Lay out a deck or three half up and half down on the gym floor, no pattern or organization necessary. Gather your group and divide in half. One team is face and one team is back. Go over that the cards remain on the floor (no moving or crumpling and be polite to each other). At the sound of go the teams turn the individual cards over to "their side".

Everyone can play this, and it goes on for a long time.

Popping balloons has never gone over very well at our Pack meetings. We have lots of small siblings that participate in the games. We like balloon games with no popping (on purpose).

I have to ask.... you say "We like...". Is that the adults or the boys?

Why no popping?

I did the balloon pop game at my first registration open house as CM. It was a crazy' date=' loud, and chaotic night. I was afraid the parents would turn tail and run. We signed up 16 new kids that night.[/quote']

would you do it again?

as I described it or would you do it different?

We did it and the boys ask for it all the time. I wrote out the cub scout promise on strips of card stock and slipped one in each balloon (2 teams so you'll need to do this for each team) Then I put 2 chairs down the line and the balloons under the chairs. The boys had to run down, grab a balloon, pop it and run back to tag the next team member who repeats the process. Once all the balloons were popped they had to put the strips in order and read it out loud. First one who does it correctly wins. I didn't fill up the balloons too much because I didn't want it to sting when they sat on it. the boys had a hard time popping them, even stepping on them was hard, funny for us adults though.

I was all set to do this as the fun part of the activity for last week's meeting, but ran out of time. The boys still had fun doing our charitable project, so all is good. I'll keep it for next time, or some time in the future.

Someone asked earlier why we don’t play balloon popping games anymore..We have a lot of scouts with sensory processing disorder. If a balloon pops some scouts cry or run around screaming. Parents complained about balloon popping games in our Pack and claim it causes “long term damage and the other scouts can play a different game.†So we don’t play them anymore. We do have many younger siblings 3-5 years old that play games with us and they had difficulty popping the balloons.

I did a Tiger Cub Den Bowling Tournament last night.

Two teams of three Tigers each, a Blue and a Gold team.

They set up aluminum pop cans as bowling pins and took turns rolling a ball to knock them down.

I made up a blue paper score sheet for one team and a yellow paper score sheet for the other team, suitably inscribed with the date and activity.

The boy knocking down the most pins each time got to put a sticker on their score sheet. After several trials, the number of stiockers won each time went up and maxed out at five for the grand finale.

The boy on each team that got the most stickers for his team got to keep the scoresheet as a memento for his Cub Scout scrapbook.

Lots of fun!

would you do it again?

as I described it or would you do it different?

I would do it again. Let them know Scouting is fun. It is amazing how parents react when they see their kids having a blast with kids they just met. This year we played Gaga, and signed 22 new Scouts.