When to award Arrow of Light Patch

So I have 3 Sr Webelos who just earned their Arrow of Light Award. Under cub scouts immediate recognition shouldn't we award their patch to them at the next pack meeting? Do they really have to wait until Blue and Gold to be acknowledged for obtaining the highest award in cub scouts? I'm not planning for gem to move on to the troop until Blue and Gold which is where they will get their plague and arrow but shouldn't we at least recognized that the earned this?

I'd go ahead and give them the patches now. I have seen Packs that have a ceremony at Blue & Gold, but I think that's because their boys are more on the suggested calendar for earning the AOL and earn it closer to the B&G date. You could still do an "extra" recognition at B&G and give them any other memento/keepsake at that time.

• Upvote 1

I'd say if they've earned it go ahead and award them all the parts of the AoL that come with that effort. Use the B&G as a ceremony for crossing over to BS alone and not a combination of AoL award and crossing over.

If they have earned it give it to them so they can actually wear it on their uniform. It seems like the trend is to hold off and give it at B&G or cross over.

Personally I think they should be differenr events. AOL when earned just like any rank earned. B&G should be about cub scouts. Cross over should be separate. I have seem B&G where it becomes all about the webelos with the AOL and Cross Over. We have B&G in Feb while AOL and Cross over is in March. Historically the Webelos have earned the AOL all around the same time at the same time and we have held off until March, but I do not think I would make them wait from Nov to March to receive.

The question becomes do they also want to cross over now? What does that do to the remaining members of the den. You said that you are not planning on them moving to the troop but I if a troop wants to take them I don't know if you would want to stop them.

I have seem B&G where it becomes all about the webelos with the AOL and Cross Over.

This is the complaint I heard about B&G at the pack I just transferred my son to. The B&G was all about the Webelos-II group and the rest of the boys were bored. This year I gave the den leads the goal of having all rank progression done by B&G so all boys (who completed the program) receive their rank. March through May would be used for arrow points and non advancement projects (NOVA, Outdoor Activity Award, Sports and Academic pins, etc).

The den leads felt a bit crunched for time, but confident they could do it. Let's see how it plays out.

My Web I boys earned their AOL before their first year was completed. The last Pack meeting of the "year" (spring cookout) they got their AOL recognition but the patches were already on their shirts. They got their arrow plaques at the picnic. They wore their AOL patch their Web II year and crossed-over whenever they turned 10.5 and felt like it. Some of the boys held off the entire year so they could compete in PWD as Web II. Some of the boys were bored and wanted to get into Boy Scouts just as soon as they could. It made no difference to me what they wanted.

Stosh

The time requirement seems like the limiter with earning AOL in one year. They need to be 10.5 or 6 months after completing 4th grade. They would need to be turning 10 in Nov of their 4th grade year which makes them one of the oldest on the class in order to get AOL at the end of their 4th grade year.

I agree the actual requirements can be done if the ages all allign.

I have a Web 2 who just turned 10 in Aug. My understanding the early he can get AOL light would be Dec using the completed 4th grade + 6 months. He is the youngest in the class but not unheard of he would have started Kindergarten right after turning 5.

On the other hand I might be interpreting these time requirements incorrectly.

our pack has always done it at B&G.

I suggested that we award them when earned. I must have grown a 3rd eye based on the looks I got.

Biggest excuse.... which is valid.... is that AOL should be a big deal and nobody wants to arrange for a big deal once, let alone twice.

I had suggested that we could do the AOL when they earn it.... December or whenever that is.... at the pack meeting.... and we could even do the crossover at a different time. Doesn't have to be B&G.

I also suggested that I wouldn't be interested in attending another B&G like last year's. My son was bored, as was I. All about the 2nd year WEBELOS. That also offended some folks.

Regardless. I'm a big believer in instant recognition.

So it seems like most agree with me. My cub master and committee chair do not. They are now going to the charter organizational rep for his opinion. Im now very worried they will not even allow them to recieve these awards at Blue and Gold as its always been done at cross-over in May for our pack! I dont know what to.

Arguments against a May cross over - for the most part you are doing a huge disservice to the scout with very little benefit to the pack.

- They do not get to go on any shake out camping trips with the troop prior to summer camp

- Since they are not part of the troop they may miss summer camp sign up

- They will miss any spring troop fund raisers where the funds could be used for summer camp

- Their peers from other packs are crossing over in Feb and March

A Webelos does not need 24 months. I would argue that the typical 20 months is too long but that is how long most of them are.

I would talk to the various troops that you typically cross ofver to confirm these benefits. I would also ask to be part of the discuss with the COR. That way you can make the pros and cons are addressed.

This is not something that the COR should be bothered with. The Charter is an agreement between the CO and BSA that affirms that the CO will deliver the BSA program, not selected parts of the program. The program says that you award these things in a timely fashion- not make boys wait to get what they have earned. Crossover should occur with enough time for greenhorn camping trips with the Troop before summer camp.

Unfortunately I wont be at roundtable tonight while the cub master, committee chair and cor discuss this. I am taking a few members of my Sr Webelos den to visit a Troop meeting tonight. Another problem is the Cubmaster is also the sCoutmaster of the troop of our same charter organization.

sprout18,

If those Scouts have earned their AOL, they can join a Scout Troop NOW! I'm guessing that these leaders are following some old traditions, like calling the shots, their way or the highway, etc..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if these AOL's have parents who know the Boy Scout program, they'd get them into a troop NOW. Anything else is doing a disservice to these Scouts (they've got to be bored). And they don't have to join the troop attached to their pack's charter organization. If that troop doesn't want them now, check out other troops. Don't wait, operators are standing by......so to speak. It's not that I don't care what your Cubmaster/Scoutmaster thinks, he's just not running the programs correctly.

sst3rd