Back in Scouting, what's changed?

I have very recently returned to Scouting. My son has joined Cubs and I was asked to take on a leadership role in his Pack. As I've been steadily getting my past memberships re-activated -- including to OA -- I've felt a little like Rip Van Winkle waking up and seeing all the changes. While there are many to ask about, the one I'm having the hardest time sorting through is the current policies as it relates to OA patches/logos. I know the old MGM is no longer the logo, but what are people's thoughts about wearing it? What was the motivation for the change? Was there guidance issued about what to do with old insignia, buckles, pins? Should they be worn, etc...Thanks!

Welcome back! And thanks for your service to the boys. Not sure what you are referring to re: MGM. But, yes, things change. Vintage insignia can be worn, but get to know the folks in the lodge to understand the history of the changes, because sooner or later some youth is going to ask you about it. :) Every old salt has their pet peeve, mine is that for boys to have the pinnacle scouting experience (hiking and camping with their buddies independent of adults), they must do so outside the bounds of BSA's Guide to Safe Scouting.

. I know the old MGM is no longer the logo' date=' but what are people's thoughts about wearing it? What was the motivation for the change? Was there guidance issued about what to do with old insignia, buckles, pins? Should they be worn, etc...Thanks![/quote']

Welcome back! I, too, took a hiatus from Scouting and was surprised by a few things. As for the chief logo here is what I found:

http://www.oa-bsa.org/pages/content/M11

I have the current arrowhead logo on my red jac-shirt but I also have an old chief back patch that I am considering putting on another jacket. There's no reason why you shouldn't wear it, in my opinion. Just like all BSA uniforms are still considered official...Wear it with pride.

As for other changes, I think the main issues relate to safety, technology, and membership policy....

Welcome back!

My hiatus was 17 years, and I was amazed at the changes.

Thanks to all for the info, very valuable. I took my ordeal in May 76, and was one of the last scouts in my lodge to purchase the old-style Sioux Chief back patch (I was lucky, there weren't many left).

The biggest change I saw in OA when I came back: no longer the brotherhood of honor campers, the OA is now the BSA's honor society.

"In 1998, the Order of the Arrow became recognized as Scouting's National Honor Society when it expanded its reach beyond camping to include a greater focus on leadership development, membership extension, adventurous programming, and broader service to Scouting and the community." (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/OrderoftheArrow.aspx)

I could go on and on about this change, but suffice to say, I think the OA lost something when it adopted this new vision.

I could go on and on about this change, but suffice to say, I think the OA lost something when it adopted this new vision.

Yeah, Eagle94-A1 and I were chatting about this the other day on the "Whither Order of the Arrow" thread. The OA just ain't what it used to be.

HOWEVER, one of "my" Eagles, who is now an 18-year old SA with our Troop, was recently elected Lodge Chief of our local OA Lodge. He gave me a ride to Roundtable tonight so he could chat with the Chapter Chief and gauge what things were like. As he drove me home I asked him several open-ended questions, and his answers gave me much hope. We're looking at the OA through the eyes of adults now...Sure some things have really changed, but the core of the OA is still there.

Ordeals are still Ordeals. The outdoors and service is still there. It's just a little different that what we remember from our youth....